What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
Have you ever experienced buyer's remorse? I have. I wonder why I buy half the clothes hanging in my closet. Just prior to making a purchase, I feel the positive emotions that come with getting something new. Afterwards, having bought the item, a wave of remorse crashes over me. I become more aware of the negative aspects of my shopping.
In Genesis 3, history's first buyer's remorse is recorded. The whole thing began with the crafty serpent and his sales pitch. He persuaded Eve to doubt God's Word. She even ends up misquoting what God had said to her and Adam: "You must not eat it or even touch it; if you do, you will die" (v.3). Allen Ross in The Bible Knowledge Commentary writes, "Either Eve did not know God's command very well or did not want to remember it."
Satan then capitalized on the waffling woman's uncertainty by casting doubt on God's character. He mixed the truth with a lie to make it more palatable.
So Eve ate. Adam ate. And sin entered the world. But the first man and woman got more than they bargained for. Their eyes were opened all right, but they didn't become "like God" (v.5). In fact, their first act as enlightened sinners was to hide from God (vv.7-8).
This account in Genesis 3 teaches us that sin has dire consequences. It always keeps us from God's best. Because of His grace, however, Genesis 3 is filled with more than just bad news. For God took innocent animals and shed their blood. He clothed Adam and Eve in garments made from the animals' skins. This was a foreshadowing of what Jesus Christ would do for us by dying on the cross for our sins. His blood was shed so that we might be clothed with His righteousness, with no buyer's remorse! , Poh Fang Chia, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more