Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting for
those who belong to the Lord (v.18).
A group of children were asked, “How can a wife
submit to her husband?” An 8-year-old named
Mary said, “My mom could mow the yard,
feed the dogs, work in the garden, and help us with our
homework instead of making my dad do it. She could also
make food for special occasions, go grocery shopping,
take us to doctors’ appointments, pick out our clothes
every morning, and fix our breakfast, lunch, and supper.”
Mary’s definition of submission makes for marital chaos
and a perpetuation of misinformation regarding submission.
So, what did Paul have in mind when he penned those wellknown
words at the end of Colossians 3?
The command for wives to submit to their husbands was
actually one of the evidences of the Colossians putting on
the new self. So when Paul gave this command for wives
to submit to their husbands (v.18), he was not saying that
wives were inferior, that husbands could force submission,
that all women must submit to all men, that wives aren’t
intelligent and don’t have good ideas, or that wives should
follow their husbands into sin.
The word submit meant to “line up under.” Paul was
saying that each wife, in recognition of God’s orderly
arrangement established at the creation of the first human
beings (Genesis 2:7,18,21-23), should line up under the
headship of her husband. This brings honor to Jesus and
clearly reflects His rule in her life.
As followers of Jesus, we shouldn’t react negatively to the word submission
based on bad experiences and misuse. Instead, reflect on its true biblical
meaning. Husbands and wives ought to confer on decisions and situations
they face and strive for unity in their decisions—all with the husband lovingly
bearing the final weight of responsibility (Colossians 3:18-19). That’s God’s
orderly arrangement. —Marvin Williams
Read Ephesians 5:25-
29 to gain a greater
understanding into the
to his wife.
In what ways have you
seen the word submit
misused in the past?
How does the husband’s
role of loving his wife
make submission easier
in a marriage?
I am Man, I am Woman
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more