Testing for TruthIs the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?
Top Music Videos
Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting for
those who belong to the Lord (v.18).
A group of children were asked, “How can a wife
submit to her husband?” An 8-year-old named
Mary said, “My mom could mow the yard,
feed the dogs, work in the garden, and help us with our
homework instead of making my dad do it. She could also
make food for special occasions, go grocery shopping,
take us to doctors’ appointments, pick out our clothes
every morning, and fix our breakfast, lunch, and supper.”
Mary’s definition of submission makes for marital chaos
and a perpetuation of misinformation regarding submission.
So, what did Paul have in mind when he penned those wellknown
words at the end of Colossians 3?
The command for wives to submit to their husbands was
actually one of the evidences of the Colossians putting on
the new self. So when Paul gave this command for wives
to submit to their husbands (v.18), he was not saying that
wives were inferior, that husbands could force submission,
that all women must submit to all men, that wives aren’t
intelligent and don’t have good ideas, or that wives should
follow their husbands into sin.
The word submit meant to “line up under.” Paul was
saying that each wife, in recognition of God’s orderly
arrangement established at the creation of the first human
beings (Genesis 2:7,18,21-23), should line up under the
headship of her husband. This brings honor to Jesus and
clearly reflects His rule in her life.
As followers of Jesus, we shouldn’t react negatively to the word submission
based on bad experiences and misuse. Instead, reflect on its true biblical
meaning. Husbands and wives ought to confer on decisions and situations
they face and strive for unity in their decisions—all with the husband lovingly
bearing the final weight of responsibility (Colossians 3:18-19). That’s God’s
orderly arrangement. —Marvin Williams
Read Ephesians 5:25-
29 to gain a greater
understanding into the
to his wife.
In what ways have you
seen the word submit
misused in the past?
How does the husband’s
role of loving his wife
make submission easier
in a marriage?
I am Man, I am Woman
- Testing for Truth - Is the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?...read more
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more