Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting for
those who belong to the Lord (v.18).
A group of children were asked, “How can a wife
submit to her husband?” An 8-year-old named
Mary said, “My mom could mow the yard,
feed the dogs, work in the garden, and help us with our
homework instead of making my dad do it. She could also
make food for special occasions, go grocery shopping,
take us to doctors’ appointments, pick out our clothes
every morning, and fix our breakfast, lunch, and supper.”
Mary’s definition of submission makes for marital chaos
and a perpetuation of misinformation regarding submission.
So, what did Paul have in mind when he penned those wellknown
words at the end of Colossians 3?
The command for wives to submit to their husbands was
actually one of the evidences of the Colossians putting on
the new self. So when Paul gave this command for wives
to submit to their husbands (v.18), he was not saying that
wives were inferior, that husbands could force submission,
that all women must submit to all men, that wives aren’t
intelligent and don’t have good ideas, or that wives should
follow their husbands into sin.
The word submit meant to “line up under.” Paul was
saying that each wife, in recognition of God’s orderly
arrangement established at the creation of the first human
beings (Genesis 2:7,18,21-23), should line up under the
headship of her husband. This brings honor to Jesus and
clearly reflects His rule in her life.
As followers of Jesus, we shouldn’t react negatively to the word submission
based on bad experiences and misuse. Instead, reflect on its true biblical
meaning. Husbands and wives ought to confer on decisions and situations
they face and strive for unity in their decisions—all with the husband lovingly
bearing the final weight of responsibility (Colossians 3:18-19). That’s God’s
orderly arrangement. —Marvin Williams
Read Ephesians 5:25-
29 to gain a greater
understanding into the
to his wife.
In what ways have you
seen the word submit
misused in the past?
How does the husband’s
role of loving his wife
make submission easier
in a marriage?
I am Man, I am Woman
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more