Not about FameHow has Jesus changed your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Return of The King
2 Peter 3:3
I want to remind you that in the last days scofferswill come, mocking the truth and following their own desires. They will say, “What happened to the promise that Jesus is coming again?” (vv.3-4).
Harold Camping received a lot of attention for
declaring that Judgment Day would begin
around dinnertime on May 21, 2011. Few
people believed him—even his receptionist admitted that
“no one knows the day or hour when these things will
happen” (Matthew 24:36). The secular world had much
fun at Camping’s expense, planning apocalyptic survival
parties and playing R.E.M.’s rock song It’s the End of
the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine). Even those
who interviewed Camping didn’t take him seriously.
One anchor closed her segment on his prediction with a
knowing smirk, “Let’s hope he’s wrong.”
That’s where all who love Jesus must disagree. We’re
the first to say that Camping’s aim and method were
wrong. No one can predict when Jesus will return, and
Camping’s convoluted and implausible argument for May
21, 2011, was not particularly promising. We were right
to declare that Camping was wrong, but we also should
have wished that he wasn’t.
We should feel a twinge of sadness every night before
we drift off to sleep, for we’ve lived another day without
the return of our King. The Lord’s Prayer includes the
line, “May your kingdom come soon” (Luke 11:2). As
far-fetched as Camping’s prediction was, his spectacular
miss should prompt us to reassess our deepest longings.
Will we only scoff at his delusion, or will we also
remember how much we want our Lord to return?
Perhaps we aren’t excited for Jesus’ return because we’re too easily pleased
with the present. As one preacher said, “It’s hard to pray, ‘Thy kingdom come,’
when your kingdom has had a good year.” Thank God for the good life you
presently enjoy, but don’t allow His current blessings to distract you from
praying, “Our Lord, come!” (1 Corinthians 1:22).
What prevents you from longing for Jesus’ return? What steps can you
take to prepare for His coming?
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more