True FellowshipWhat comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?
Top Music Videos
Return of The King
2 Peter 3:3
I want to remind you that in the last days scofferswill come, mocking the truth and following their own desires. They will say, “What happened to the promise that Jesus is coming again?” (vv.3-4).
Harold Camping received a lot of attention for
declaring that Judgment Day would begin
around dinnertime on May 21, 2011. Few
people believed him—even his receptionist admitted that
“no one knows the day or hour when these things will
happen” (Matthew 24:36). The secular world had much
fun at Camping’s expense, planning apocalyptic survival
parties and playing R.E.M.’s rock song It’s the End of
the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine). Even those
who interviewed Camping didn’t take him seriously.
One anchor closed her segment on his prediction with a
knowing smirk, “Let’s hope he’s wrong.”
That’s where all who love Jesus must disagree. We’re
the first to say that Camping’s aim and method were
wrong. No one can predict when Jesus will return, and
Camping’s convoluted and implausible argument for May
21, 2011, was not particularly promising. We were right
to declare that Camping was wrong, but we also should
have wished that he wasn’t.
We should feel a twinge of sadness every night before
we drift off to sleep, for we’ve lived another day without
the return of our King. The Lord’s Prayer includes the
line, “May your kingdom come soon” (Luke 11:2). As
far-fetched as Camping’s prediction was, his spectacular
miss should prompt us to reassess our deepest longings.
Will we only scoff at his delusion, or will we also
remember how much we want our Lord to return?
Perhaps we aren’t excited for Jesus’ return because we’re too easily pleased
with the present. As one preacher said, “It’s hard to pray, ‘Thy kingdom come,’
when your kingdom has had a good year.” Thank God for the good life you
presently enjoy, but don’t allow His current blessings to distract you from
praying, “Our Lord, come!” (1 Corinthians 1:22).
What prevents you from longing for Jesus’ return? What steps can you
take to prepare for His coming?
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more