The Gift of LoveHow should you respond to such a great love?
Top Christian Music Videos
Return of The King
2 Peter 3:3
I want to remind you that in the last days scofferswill come, mocking the truth and following their own desires. They will say, “What happened to the promise that Jesus is coming again?” (vv.3-4).
Harold Camping received a lot of attention for
declaring that Judgment Day would begin
around dinnertime on May 21, 2011. Few
people believed him—even his receptionist admitted that
“no one knows the day or hour when these things will
happen” (Matthew 24:36). The secular world had much
fun at Camping’s expense, planning apocalyptic survival
parties and playing R.E.M.’s rock song It’s the End of
the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine). Even those
who interviewed Camping didn’t take him seriously.
One anchor closed her segment on his prediction with a
knowing smirk, “Let’s hope he’s wrong.”
That’s where all who love Jesus must disagree. We’re
the first to say that Camping’s aim and method were
wrong. No one can predict when Jesus will return, and
Camping’s convoluted and implausible argument for May
21, 2011, was not particularly promising. We were right
to declare that Camping was wrong, but we also should
have wished that he wasn’t.
We should feel a twinge of sadness every night before
we drift off to sleep, for we’ve lived another day without
the return of our King. The Lord’s Prayer includes the
line, “May your kingdom come soon” (Luke 11:2). As
far-fetched as Camping’s prediction was, his spectacular
miss should prompt us to reassess our deepest longings.
Will we only scoff at his delusion, or will we also
remember how much we want our Lord to return?
Perhaps we aren’t excited for Jesus’ return because we’re too easily pleased
with the present. As one preacher said, “It’s hard to pray, ‘Thy kingdom come,’
when your kingdom has had a good year.” Thank God for the good life you
presently enjoy, but don’t allow His current blessings to distract you from
praying, “Our Lord, come!” (1 Corinthians 1:22).
What prevents you from longing for Jesus’ return? What steps can you
take to prepare for His coming?
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more