VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
Return of The King
2 Peter 3:3
I want to remind you that in the last days scofferswill come, mocking the truth and following their own desires. They will say, “What happened to the promise that Jesus is coming again?” (vv.3-4).
Harold Camping received a lot of attention for
declaring that Judgment Day would begin
around dinnertime on May 21, 2011. Few
people believed him—even his receptionist admitted that
“no one knows the day or hour when these things will
happen” (Matthew 24:36). The secular world had much
fun at Camping’s expense, planning apocalyptic survival
parties and playing R.E.M.’s rock song It’s the End of
the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine). Even those
who interviewed Camping didn’t take him seriously.
One anchor closed her segment on his prediction with a
knowing smirk, “Let’s hope he’s wrong.”
That’s where all who love Jesus must disagree. We’re
the first to say that Camping’s aim and method were
wrong. No one can predict when Jesus will return, and
Camping’s convoluted and implausible argument for May
21, 2011, was not particularly promising. We were right
to declare that Camping was wrong, but we also should
have wished that he wasn’t.
We should feel a twinge of sadness every night before
we drift off to sleep, for we’ve lived another day without
the return of our King. The Lord’s Prayer includes the
line, “May your kingdom come soon” (Luke 11:2). As
far-fetched as Camping’s prediction was, his spectacular
miss should prompt us to reassess our deepest longings.
Will we only scoff at his delusion, or will we also
remember how much we want our Lord to return?
Perhaps we aren’t excited for Jesus’ return because we’re too easily pleased
with the present. As one preacher said, “It’s hard to pray, ‘Thy kingdom come,’
when your kingdom has had a good year.” Thank God for the good life you
presently enjoy, but don’t allow His current blessings to distract you from
praying, “Our Lord, come!” (1 Corinthians 1:22).
What prevents you from longing for Jesus’ return? What steps can you
take to prepare for His coming?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more