WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
I don't remember exactly how old I was, but it was a moment I've never forgotten. Cooling off after a hot summer day, my family had gone swimming at a friend's house. Because I didn't know how to swim, I was trying to maneuver the water wearing a life jacket that awkwardly grazed my chin. Looking for security, I lunged for my mom as she swam by. When my fearful grasps took her under, she pushed me away to catch her breath. Upset, I didn't understand what she knew, the life jacket would keep me afloat.
As the body of Christ, we're called to be in relationship with one another. Galatians 6:2 tells us, "Share each other's burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ." But, in our humanity, we often reach for the tangible person next to us rather than depending on God, our Creator, to sustain us. An unhealthy dependence on another person can stifle us spiritually.
We may convince ourselves that we can't go forward without others, always needing someone with us or needing another person's approval. But this leads to a spiral of hopelessness and away from our security in God. For when we seek ultimate safety in another person, we're trusting in someone just as full of faults as we are. Psalm 146:3 states: "Don't put your confidence in powerful people; there is no help for you there."
We won't fully depend on Jesus when we're holding on to others. Proverbs 29:25 says, "Fearing people is a dangerous trap, but trusting the Lord means safety." Restoring our relationship with God, Jesus was "beaten so we could be whole" (Isaiah 53:5). When it comes to finding our sense of security, the cross should be the first and only place we look. , Regina Franklin, Our Daily Journey.org
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more