Sacrificial LoveWhat does it mean for you to carry your cross?
Top Christian Music Videos
Faith & Work
1 Corinthians 3:5
The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same
purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work (v.8).
One of my favorite quotes from John Wesley
is, “Pray like it depends on God; work like it
depends on you.” I don’t always live it, but it
echoes something an old wise king once said.
As King David was nearing the end of his life, he
realized he wasn’t going to be able to build a temple
for God in Jerusalem. God told him that his son and
successor Solomon would complete the job
(1 Chronicles 1:6). Turning over this monumental task
to Solomon, He gave the following instruction: “Be strong
and courageous, and do the work. Don’t be afraid or
discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you.
He will not fail you or forsake you. He will see to it that
all the work related to the Temple of the Lord is finished
correctly” (1 Chronicles 1:20).
David emphasized to Solomon what he’d learned
firsthand—that faith and effort go hand in hand. Clearly,
the task before Solomon was going to require hard work,
but he would ultimately have to depend on God to get
the work done.
Is your faith in motion? For example, if you need to
find a job, do you pray that God gives you a job as
you fill out job applications and send out your résumé to
potential employers? If you want better friendships, are
you praying for God to bring them into your life and then
intentionally investing in people?
God is God, and anything we have or accomplish is ultimately from Him. At
the same time, He’s not going to do all the work for us. Instead, He respects the
dignity He’s placed in all of us by calling us to roll up our sleeves and do what
we can—working with Him to accomplish the task at hand.
Read what the prophet Haggai told God’s people about the need
to get to work when it came time to rebuild the temple in Jerusalem
How do your prayers reflect real faith in God? What work is God calling
you to do?
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more