What We ValueHow often do you read the Bible?
Top Music Videos
Faith & Work
1 Corinthians 3:5
The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same
purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work (v.8).
One of my favorite quotes from John Wesley
is, “Pray like it depends on God; work like it
depends on you.” I don’t always live it, but it
echoes something an old wise king once said.
As King David was nearing the end of his life, he
realized he wasn’t going to be able to build a temple
for God in Jerusalem. God told him that his son and
successor Solomon would complete the job
(1 Chronicles 1:6). Turning over this monumental task
to Solomon, He gave the following instruction: “Be strong
and courageous, and do the work. Don’t be afraid or
discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you.
He will not fail you or forsake you. He will see to it that
all the work related to the Temple of the Lord is finished
correctly” (1 Chronicles 1:20).
David emphasized to Solomon what he’d learned
firsthand—that faith and effort go hand in hand. Clearly,
the task before Solomon was going to require hard work,
but he would ultimately have to depend on God to get
the work done.
Is your faith in motion? For example, if you need to
find a job, do you pray that God gives you a job as
you fill out job applications and send out your résumé to
potential employers? If you want better friendships, are
you praying for God to bring them into your life and then
intentionally investing in people?
God is God, and anything we have or accomplish is ultimately from Him. At
the same time, He’s not going to do all the work for us. Instead, He respects the
dignity He’s placed in all of us by calling us to roll up our sleeves and do what
we can—working with Him to accomplish the task at hand.
Read what the prophet Haggai told God’s people about the need
to get to work when it came time to rebuild the temple in Jerusalem
How do your prayers reflect real faith in God? What work is God calling
you to do?
- What We Value - How often do you read the Bible?...read more
- The Job Paradox - When have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?...read more
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more