Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
In his Apology (AD 197), Tertullian argued that the Roman government should stop persecuting its best citizens. He said that Christians not only prayed for the emperor and the empire, but they also sacrificed for the sake of their neighbors. He said they pooled their money "to feed the poor and to bury them; for boys and girls who lack property and parents; and then for slaves grown old and ship-wrecked mariners; and any who may be in mines, islands, or prisons." They didn't use their cash to fund lavish banquets as the Romans did.
This "trust fund of piety" was so successful that when a new emperor named Julian the Apostate wanted to return Rome to its pre-Constantinian, pagan ways a century and a half later, he discovered that paganism had been thoroughly discredited by the charity of the Christians. Julian complained that he could not turn people from the Christian faith when "the impious Galileans [Christians] support not only their own poor but ours as well."
A similar opportunity exists today. James 1:27 states, "Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress." Christians are rightly known for opposing abortion. What if we were also known for supporting adoption?
What would happen if our churches were lovers of orphans; if our church directories were as diverse as the world; if we made disciples of all nations in part by adopting their most at-risk members; and if mothers considering abortion chose life because they knew they could give their child to any number of Christian homes?
We would be imitators of God, who has adopted us into His family, and we would generate praise from non-Christians who witness our good works. They just might become followers of Jesus; but if not, they would at least understand why someone would. , Mike Wittmer, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more