Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Hit & Run
People are born for trouble as readily as sparks fly up from a fire (v.7).
One evening, just before midnight, an automobile
slammed into the side of our house. I woke up
to what sounded like an explosion, but then I
heard the muffled noise of a car radio and the squealing
of tires as the driver fled the scene.
Satan tried to dismantle Job’s relationship with God
(Job 1:9) by afflicting him with a series of “hit-and-run”
problems—serious and sudden troubles with devastating
results. The devil used natural disasters, violent attacks, and
illness to try to turn Job against his Maker (vv.Job 1:13).
Job didn’t submit to Satan’s tactics, although he did
struggle to stay close to God. During the time of testing,
his friend Eliphaz advised: “I would go to God and
present my case to Him” (Job 5:8). Eliphaz was earnestly
urging Job to hash things out with his Creator—to
express the fear, anger, and confusion.
Eliphaz reminded Job that God “protects those who
suffer” (v.11). This truth can prevent us from blaming God
and turning away from Him when we need Him the most.
While God sometimes allows peril to plague us, He
never abandons us in our distress (Psalms 23:4).
Eliphaz was a fairly good encourager, but he wrongly
suggested that Job’s problems stemmed from God’s
judgment. Although Job was innocent, it’s worth noting
that sometimes sin does bring trouble to our lives. (Think
of David, Bathsheba, and Uriah.) In that case, we can
stay near to God by repenting and accepting His
correction (Job 5:17).
Be aware that Satan wants the shock and bewilderment of hit-and-run problems
to jar your faith. Turn the tables on him. Keep praying; don’t play the blame game
(1:22); repent when necessary. When trouble strikes, “Come close to God, and
God will come close to you” (James 4:8).
Why are Christian friends especially important during difficult
days? How does your relationship with God change when life doesn’t
go your way?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more