Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
Hit & Run
People are born for trouble as readily as sparks fly up from a fire (v.7).
One evening, just before midnight, an automobile
slammed into the side of our house. I woke up
to what sounded like an explosion, but then I
heard the muffled noise of a car radio and the squealing
of tires as the driver fled the scene.
Satan tried to dismantle Job’s relationship with God
(Job 1:9) by afflicting him with a series of “hit-and-run”
problems—serious and sudden troubles with devastating
results. The devil used natural disasters, violent attacks, and
illness to try to turn Job against his Maker (vv.Job 1:13).
Job didn’t submit to Satan’s tactics, although he did
struggle to stay close to God. During the time of testing,
his friend Eliphaz advised: “I would go to God and
present my case to Him” (Job 5:8). Eliphaz was earnestly
urging Job to hash things out with his Creator—to
express the fear, anger, and confusion.
Eliphaz reminded Job that God “protects those who
suffer” (v.11). This truth can prevent us from blaming God
and turning away from Him when we need Him the most.
While God sometimes allows peril to plague us, He
never abandons us in our distress (Psalms 23:4).
Eliphaz was a fairly good encourager, but he wrongly
suggested that Job’s problems stemmed from God’s
judgment. Although Job was innocent, it’s worth noting
that sometimes sin does bring trouble to our lives. (Think
of David, Bathsheba, and Uriah.) In that case, we can
stay near to God by repenting and accepting His
correction (Job 5:17).
Be aware that Satan wants the shock and bewilderment of hit-and-run problems
to jar your faith. Turn the tables on him. Keep praying; don’t play the blame game
(1:22); repent when necessary. When trouble strikes, “Come close to God, and
God will come close to you” (James 4:8).
Why are Christian friends especially important during difficult
days? How does your relationship with God change when life doesn’t
go your way?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more