Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
Hit & Run
People are born for trouble as readily as sparks fly up from a fire (v.7).
One evening, just before midnight, an automobile
slammed into the side of our house. I woke up
to what sounded like an explosion, but then I
heard the muffled noise of a car radio and the squealing
of tires as the driver fled the scene.
Satan tried to dismantle Job’s relationship with God
(Job 1:9) by afflicting him with a series of “hit-and-run”
problems—serious and sudden troubles with devastating
results. The devil used natural disasters, violent attacks, and
illness to try to turn Job against his Maker (vv.Job 1:13).
Job didn’t submit to Satan’s tactics, although he did
struggle to stay close to God. During the time of testing,
his friend Eliphaz advised: “I would go to God and
present my case to Him” (Job 5:8). Eliphaz was earnestly
urging Job to hash things out with his Creator—to
express the fear, anger, and confusion.
Eliphaz reminded Job that God “protects those who
suffer” (v.11). This truth can prevent us from blaming God
and turning away from Him when we need Him the most.
While God sometimes allows peril to plague us, He
never abandons us in our distress (Psalms 23:4).
Eliphaz was a fairly good encourager, but he wrongly
suggested that Job’s problems stemmed from God’s
judgment. Although Job was innocent, it’s worth noting
that sometimes sin does bring trouble to our lives. (Think
of David, Bathsheba, and Uriah.) In that case, we can
stay near to God by repenting and accepting His
correction (Job 5:17).
Be aware that Satan wants the shock and bewilderment of hit-and-run problems
to jar your faith. Turn the tables on him. Keep praying; don’t play the blame game
(1:22); repent when necessary. When trouble strikes, “Come close to God, and
God will come close to you” (James 4:8).
Why are Christian friends especially important during difficult
days? How does your relationship with God change when life doesn’t
go your way?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more