Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
“Men of Galilee,” they said, “Why are you standing here staring into heaven? Jesus has been taken from you into heaven, but someday He will return from heaven in the same way you saw Him go!” (v.11).
A sequel is typically a book or film that continues
the story of some previous work. Last year
was the year of movie sequels. According to
Newsweek Magazine, in 2011, Hollywood released a
record 27 sequels. The total encompasses the highest
number of part 2 (or 3 or 4 or . . .) films ever, including
new versions of Mission: Impossible and Pirates of the
Caribbean. There were five fifth sequels, two seventh
sequels, and the eighth Harry Potter movie.
In the opening verses of Luke’s sequel to his gospel
account (the book of Acts), two white-robed men
(angels) announced a coming sequel—the return of
Jesus. Luke recorded the description of Jesus’ ascension,
which anticipated His return. With these words, the
apostles were assured that one day the same physical
Savior will return to earth.
How will Jesus return? In a cloud, bodily, in view
of all people as He descends on the Mount of Olives
(Zechariah 14:4). He will return in the same way the
apostles saw Him ascend.
When will Jesus return? He told the apostles that they
shouldn’t speculate about when He’ll return. Empowered by
the Holy Spirit to be His witnesses to the world, they were to
tell others of his life, death, and resurrection (Acts 1:6).
As followers of Jesus, we believe that there is going
to be a sequel: Jesus will return to earth one day. We
don’t know when that will take place, nor should we set dates. We have more
important work to do: By the power of the Holy Spirit, let’s boldly tell all people
about the saving power of Jesus.
One day God is going to complete the story of salvation with Jesus’ return, but
until He does we can share the life-giving words of His story.
What are some things that cause you to speculate about Jesus’
return? What should we be doing while we’re waiting for His sequel to
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more