Top Music Videos
“Men of Galilee,” they said, “Why are you standing here staring into heaven? Jesus has been taken from you into heaven, but someday He will return from heaven in the same way you saw Him go!” (v.11).
A sequel is typically a book or film that continues
the story of some previous work. Last year
was the year of movie sequels. According to
Newsweek Magazine, in 2011, Hollywood released a
record 27 sequels. The total encompasses the highest
number of part 2 (or 3 or 4 or . . .) films ever, including
new versions of Mission: Impossible and Pirates of the
Caribbean. There were five fifth sequels, two seventh
sequels, and the eighth Harry Potter movie.
In the opening verses of Luke’s sequel to his gospel
account (the book of Acts), two white-robed men
(angels) announced a coming sequel—the return of
Jesus. Luke recorded the description of Jesus’ ascension,
which anticipated His return. With these words, the
apostles were assured that one day the same physical
Savior will return to earth.
How will Jesus return? In a cloud, bodily, in view
of all people as He descends on the Mount of Olives
(Zechariah 14:4). He will return in the same way the
apostles saw Him ascend.
When will Jesus return? He told the apostles that they
shouldn’t speculate about when He’ll return. Empowered by
the Holy Spirit to be His witnesses to the world, they were to
tell others of his life, death, and resurrection (Acts 1:6).
As followers of Jesus, we believe that there is going
to be a sequel: Jesus will return to earth one day. We
don’t know when that will take place, nor should we set dates. We have more
important work to do: By the power of the Holy Spirit, let’s boldly tell all people
about the saving power of Jesus.
One day God is going to complete the story of salvation with Jesus’ return, but
until He does we can share the life-giving words of His story.
What are some things that cause you to speculate about Jesus’
return? What should we be doing while we’re waiting for His sequel to
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more