Prayerful RetreatHow often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
“Men of Galilee,” they said, “Why are you standing here staring into heaven? Jesus has been taken from you into heaven, but someday He will return from heaven in the same way you saw Him go!” (v.11).
A sequel is typically a book or film that continues
the story of some previous work. Last year
was the year of movie sequels. According to
Newsweek Magazine, in 2011, Hollywood released a
record 27 sequels. The total encompasses the highest
number of part 2 (or 3 or 4 or . . .) films ever, including
new versions of Mission: Impossible and Pirates of the
Caribbean. There were five fifth sequels, two seventh
sequels, and the eighth Harry Potter movie.
In the opening verses of Luke’s sequel to his gospel
account (the book of Acts), two white-robed men
(angels) announced a coming sequel—the return of
Jesus. Luke recorded the description of Jesus’ ascension,
which anticipated His return. With these words, the
apostles were assured that one day the same physical
Savior will return to earth.
How will Jesus return? In a cloud, bodily, in view
of all people as He descends on the Mount of Olives
(Zechariah 14:4). He will return in the same way the
apostles saw Him ascend.
When will Jesus return? He told the apostles that they
shouldn’t speculate about when He’ll return. Empowered by
the Holy Spirit to be His witnesses to the world, they were to
tell others of his life, death, and resurrection (Acts 1:6).
As followers of Jesus, we believe that there is going
to be a sequel: Jesus will return to earth one day. We
don’t know when that will take place, nor should we set dates. We have more
important work to do: By the power of the Holy Spirit, let’s boldly tell all people
about the saving power of Jesus.
One day God is going to complete the story of salvation with Jesus’ return, but
until He does we can share the life-giving words of His story.
What are some things that cause you to speculate about Jesus’
return? What should we be doing while we’re waiting for His sequel to
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more