Hidden SinsHow have you been trying to deal with your sin?
Top Music Videos
“Men of Galilee,” they said, “Why are you standing here staring into heaven? Jesus has been taken from you into heaven, but someday He will return from heaven in the same way you saw Him go!” (v.11).
A sequel is typically a book or film that continues
the story of some previous work. Last year
was the year of movie sequels. According to
Newsweek Magazine, in 2011, Hollywood released a
record 27 sequels. The total encompasses the highest
number of part 2 (or 3 or 4 or . . .) films ever, including
new versions of Mission: Impossible and Pirates of the
Caribbean. There were five fifth sequels, two seventh
sequels, and the eighth Harry Potter movie.
In the opening verses of Luke’s sequel to his gospel
account (the book of Acts), two white-robed men
(angels) announced a coming sequel—the return of
Jesus. Luke recorded the description of Jesus’ ascension,
which anticipated His return. With these words, the
apostles were assured that one day the same physical
Savior will return to earth.
How will Jesus return? In a cloud, bodily, in view
of all people as He descends on the Mount of Olives
(Zechariah 14:4). He will return in the same way the
apostles saw Him ascend.
When will Jesus return? He told the apostles that they
shouldn’t speculate about when He’ll return. Empowered by
the Holy Spirit to be His witnesses to the world, they were to
tell others of his life, death, and resurrection (Acts 1:6).
As followers of Jesus, we believe that there is going
to be a sequel: Jesus will return to earth one day. We
don’t know when that will take place, nor should we set dates. We have more
important work to do: By the power of the Holy Spirit, let’s boldly tell all people
about the saving power of Jesus.
One day God is going to complete the story of salvation with Jesus’ return, but
until He does we can share the life-giving words of His story.
What are some things that cause you to speculate about Jesus’
return? What should we be doing while we’re waiting for His sequel to
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more