Top Christian Music Videos
“Men of Galilee,” they said, “Why are you standing here staring into heaven? Jesus has been taken from you into heaven, but someday He will return from heaven in the same way you saw Him go!” (v.11).
A sequel is typically a book or film that continues
the story of some previous work. Last year
was the year of movie sequels. According to
Newsweek Magazine, in 2011, Hollywood released a
record 27 sequels. The total encompasses the highest
number of part 2 (or 3 or 4 or . . .) films ever, including
new versions of Mission: Impossible and Pirates of the
Caribbean. There were five fifth sequels, two seventh
sequels, and the eighth Harry Potter movie.
In the opening verses of Luke’s sequel to his gospel
account (the book of Acts), two white-robed men
(angels) announced a coming sequel—the return of
Jesus. Luke recorded the description of Jesus’ ascension,
which anticipated His return. With these words, the
apostles were assured that one day the same physical
Savior will return to earth.
How will Jesus return? In a cloud, bodily, in view
of all people as He descends on the Mount of Olives
(Zechariah 14:4). He will return in the same way the
apostles saw Him ascend.
When will Jesus return? He told the apostles that they
shouldn’t speculate about when He’ll return. Empowered by
the Holy Spirit to be His witnesses to the world, they were to
tell others of his life, death, and resurrection (Acts 1:6).
As followers of Jesus, we believe that there is going
to be a sequel: Jesus will return to earth one day. We
don’t know when that will take place, nor should we set dates. We have more
important work to do: By the power of the Holy Spirit, let’s boldly tell all people
about the saving power of Jesus.
One day God is going to complete the story of salvation with Jesus’ return, but
until He does we can share the life-giving words of His story.
What are some things that cause you to speculate about Jesus’
return? What should we be doing while we’re waiting for His sequel to
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more