The First Day—AgainHow does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?
Top Music Videos
Driving God Out
Do you see the detestable sins the people of Israel are committing to drive Me from My temple? (v.6).
Is it possible to drive God away? The answer is a resounding “Yes!” Ezekiel gives us one sure way— idolatry. In a fascinating account, the prophet recorded what made God leave the room. In Ezekiel 8:1, we read that the leaders of Judah were gathered at Ezekiel’s home. They were probably seeking a word of encouragement and comfort from the Lord (14:1, 20:1). God, in reply, gave Ezekiel four scenes in a vision:
• A large idol located at the north gate of the inner courtyard of the temple that made the Lord very jealous (8:3-6).
• Seventy spiritual leaders bowing to idols in secrecy (vv.9-12).
• Women weeping for the god Tammuz at the north gate of the temple (v.14).
• Twenty-five priests turning their backs on God and worshiping the sun (v.16).
Essentially, the practices he saw represented the rampant idolatry of all the people, the civic leaders, the women, and the priests. The exclusive worship of Yahweh had broken down completely in the holy city.
How about today? How has idolatry entered the church? Pastor Kevin DeYoung writes that idolatry preaches “a spirituality that gets me lots, costs me little, is easy to see, easy to do, has few ethical or doctrinal boundaries, guarantees me success, feels good, and doesn’t offend those around me.”
Mack Stiles, author of 17 Things My Kids Taught Me about God, offers a useful tip on how to identify idols in our lives: “Ask yourself this question: In what ways are you dissatisfied with the way God is running things? If you can identify your dissatisfaction with how God is running the show, you can identify the place where you are tempted for idols to become your God. Kill the idols in your life by making Christ your life.”
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 62:1 to reaffirm your trust in God alone.
In what ways are you dissatisfied with how God is running things? What do you need to turn over to Him? Why?
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more