WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
Driving God Out
Do you see the detestable sins the people of Israel are committing to drive Me from My temple? (v.6).
Is it possible to drive God away? The answer is a resounding “Yes!” Ezekiel gives us one sure way— idolatry. In a fascinating account, the prophet recorded what made God leave the room. In Ezekiel 8:1, we read that the leaders of Judah were gathered at Ezekiel’s home. They were probably seeking a word of encouragement and comfort from the Lord (14:1, 20:1). God, in reply, gave Ezekiel four scenes in a vision:
• A large idol located at the north gate of the inner courtyard of the temple that made the Lord very jealous (8:3-6).
• Seventy spiritual leaders bowing to idols in secrecy (vv.9-12).
• Women weeping for the god Tammuz at the north gate of the temple (v.14).
• Twenty-five priests turning their backs on God and worshiping the sun (v.16).
Essentially, the practices he saw represented the rampant idolatry of all the people, the civic leaders, the women, and the priests. The exclusive worship of Yahweh had broken down completely in the holy city.
How about today? How has idolatry entered the church? Pastor Kevin DeYoung writes that idolatry preaches “a spirituality that gets me lots, costs me little, is easy to see, easy to do, has few ethical or doctrinal boundaries, guarantees me success, feels good, and doesn’t offend those around me.”
Mack Stiles, author of 17 Things My Kids Taught Me about God, offers a useful tip on how to identify idols in our lives: “Ask yourself this question: In what ways are you dissatisfied with the way God is running things? If you can identify your dissatisfaction with how God is running the show, you can identify the place where you are tempted for idols to become your God. Kill the idols in your life by making Christ your life.”
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 62:1 to reaffirm your trust in God alone.
In what ways are you dissatisfied with how God is running things? What do you need to turn over to Him? Why?
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more