In the GapWhat has God equipped you with to intercede for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
a sulking prophet
We might think of God’s prophets as holy and well-behaved, somewhat like that model student in school. But there was a prophet who had the audacity to yell, “God, if you won’t kill them, kill me! I’m better off dead!” Jonah was that man, and his words are written in the Bible for all to see.
Why was Jonah so furious? He was mad at God for changing His plans (Jonah 4:1). Was Jonah offended because God was fickle? Nope, God was acting in keeping with His character (v.2). So, why exactly was Jonah angry? Based on his own words, there are two possible reasons:
- His reputation as a prophet would be tainted if his prediction didn’t come to pass (v.3).
- His nationalistic fervor demanded that Israel’s enemies be punished rather than pardoned (v.2).
Perhaps you and I feel that we sometimes have a right to be angry with God. For He might allow us to “lose face” while doing His will. Or He might show mercy to our enemies. But which is more important—God’s reputation or our reputation, God’s plan or our wishes?
God was gentle in the way He dealt with His erring prophet. He confronted Jonah’s mixed-up priorities with an object lesson. And the key lesson for Jonah—and us—is this: “The Lord isn’t really being slow about His promise, as some people think. No, He is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent” (2 Peter 3:9).
Jonah knew God, but he didn’t share His compassion for the lost. He was involved in God’s mission, but without the right attitude. If we’re merely doing our Father’s business without sharing our Father’s heart, there could be a Jonah in us too. —Poh Fang Chia
The Lord replied, “Is it right for you to be angry about this?” (v.4).
Read Luke 15:11-32 for a glimpse into the Father’s heart.
In what ways are you like Jonah? How would you answer the Lord’s question in Jonah 4:11?
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more
- Winning Wars - How has God equipped others to help you make wise decisions?...read more