Awareness and ForgivenessHow has the grace of God changed your view of those dealing with sin?
Top Music Videos
a sulking prophet
We might think of God’s prophets as holy and well-behaved, somewhat like that model student in school. But there was a prophet who had the audacity to yell, “God, if you won’t kill them, kill me! I’m better off dead!” Jonah was that man, and his words are written in the Bible for all to see.
Why was Jonah so furious? He was mad at God for changing His plans (Jonah 4:1). Was Jonah offended because God was fickle? Nope, God was acting in keeping with His character (v.2). So, why exactly was Jonah angry? Based on his own words, there are two possible reasons:
- His reputation as a prophet would be tainted if his prediction didn’t come to pass (v.3).
- His nationalistic fervor demanded that Israel’s enemies be punished rather than pardoned (v.2).
Perhaps you and I feel that we sometimes have a right to be angry with God. For He might allow us to “lose face” while doing His will. Or He might show mercy to our enemies. But which is more important—God’s reputation or our reputation, God’s plan or our wishes?
God was gentle in the way He dealt with His erring prophet. He confronted Jonah’s mixed-up priorities with an object lesson. And the key lesson for Jonah—and us—is this: “The Lord isn’t really being slow about His promise, as some people think. No, He is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent” (2 Peter 3:9).
Jonah knew God, but he didn’t share His compassion for the lost. He was involved in God’s mission, but without the right attitude. If we’re merely doing our Father’s business without sharing our Father’s heart, there could be a Jonah in us too. —Poh Fang Chia
The Lord replied, “Is it right for you to be angry about this?” (v.4).
Read Luke 15:11-32 for a glimpse into the Father’s heart.
In what ways are you like Jonah? How would you answer the Lord’s question in Jonah 4:11?
- Awareness and Forgiveness - How has the grace of God changed your view of those dealing with sin?...read more
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more