Back in 2001, Mark Cuban, owner of the National Basketball Association’s (NBA) Dallas Mavericks, offered WGN Chicago Radio sports-talk ho...
- Daily Devotional, June 8, 2011 "Jimmy Joy"6/7/2011 - When my friend Jimmy’s cancer returned for the fourth time, he made a choice. Though he knew the path ahead would be difficult (another invasive, painful surgery inside his lung), he strove to bring glory to God.
- Daily Devotional - Featuring Chris Tomlin - June 07, 20116/6/2011 - The Book of Psalms reveals more than just what “modern worship” might have looked like 2300 years ago. Interwoven into the exclamations of praise and pleas for help are some very revealing pictures of the sort of God-followers the psalmists were, of how they viewed themselves and their Creator and the joys and hardships and sufferings of life. As we read the song lyrics that King David and his fellow psalmists crafted hundreds of years before God’s salvation was clearly revealed in Jesus...
- Daily Devotional, June 6, 2011 "Radical Love"6/5/2011 - Julio Diaz stepped off the late-night subway en route to his favorite diner when a knife-wielding teen demanded his wallet. Diaz handed the wallet over; but as the mugger began to walk away, Diaz stopped him. “If you’re going to be robbing people for the rest of the night,” Diaz said, “you might as well take my coat to keep you warm.” He handed the boy his jacket and then invited the bewildered mugger to join him for dinner.
- Daily Devotional, June 3, 2011 "Covenant Eyes"6/2/2011 - A study published by the American Academy of Pediatrics in 2006 revealed that children who watch media with high levels of sexual content tend to be more sexually promiscuous. Researchers studied 1,017 adolescents, ages 12 to 14, over a period of 2 years.
- Daily Devotional, June 2, 2011 "Gone Home"6/1/2011 - One of my favorite movies is the 1982 science fiction blockbuster E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial. The movie ends with an emotional scene as E.T. says goodbye to his young friend Elliot. Before entering the spaceship, E.T. tells him, “I’ll be right here,” pointing his glowing finger to Elliott’s head. E.T. then walks into the spaceship and takes off, leaving a rainbow in the sky, which in a way reminds me of Jesus’ ascension.
- Daily Devotional, June 1, 2011 "Amazing Guide"5/31/2011 - Marion Cotillard, an actress in Christopher Nolan’s movie Inception, says of the director, “Things that I didn’t really get while we were shooting, I knew were maybe not to be understood. I found it very interesting to allow myself to be lost, because I knew that I had this amazing guide who would take us to a place where you really live the experience, because you abandon yourself for a story and a director that will make it all work.”
- Daily Devotional, May 31, 2011 "Convinced"5/30/2011 - Someday I want to go skydiving. While I’m not overly fond of heights, I think there’s something incredible about jumping out of an airplane with a parachute (and an instructor soaring tandem with me!). As kids, my sister and I would jump off our second-story deck into the huge mounds of snow that covered our front yard in the dead of winter.
- Daily Devotional, May 30, 2011 "No Satisfaction"5/29/2011 - In May of 1965, The Rolling Stones recorded the song I Can’t Get No Satisfaction. Shortly after its release, the tune rose to the No. 1 song in the United States. How right they were. No matter how much we try and try and try, satisfaction seems to slip through our fingers. But is it true that satisfaction is impossible to find in this life? Or could it be that we tend to look for it in all the wrong places?
- Daily Devotional, May 27, 2011 "Fearing God"5/26/2011 - Several years ago, I went to the doctor for a checkup. I’d been feeling poorly for a while—tired, blue, and lethargic. I knew I needed to lose weight and return to exercising. However, sitting in that sterile medical room, across from a serious-looking doctor, my predicament finally sank in. My cholesterol was high, and my weight was out of control. I needed to change . . . or else. The dire possibilities scared me.
- Daily Devotional, May 26, 2011 "Time & Chance"5/25/2011 - John Tesvich was prepared for anything. When low rainfall or hurricanes disrupted his business, the fourth-generation oysterman waited it out by reducing staff until conditions improved. When consumers worried about bacteria present in raw oysters, John’s company invented a unique pasteurization process that made them safe to eat.
- Daily Devotional, May 25, 2011 "Here's a Tip"5/24/2011 - How does the after-church crowd tip?” I asked the waitress. If my question lacked subtlety, her response possessed even less. “They’re the worst!” she said emphatically. “None of us wants to work the lunch shift on Sunday.”
- Daily Devotional, May 24, 2011 "A Symbol of Forgiveness - Sheila Walsh"5/23/2011 - In 1992, my life fell apart and I lost touch with everyone. I sat in the psychiatrist’s office in the hospital, and I could hear him talking to me, but it was as if I was listening through glass or trapped inside a goldfish bowl. His eyes were kind, and his posture as he leaned forward seemed to invite trust, but I was done with that. He talked to me about recent developments in understanding clinical depression and new medications that were more efficient in arresting that crushing feeling of d
- Daily Devotional, May 23, 2011 "The Benediction"5/21/2011 - In many churches, as part of the liturgy, the pastor closes the worship service with a benediction (good pronouncement) invoking God’s help and blessings upon the worshipers. There are many benedictions in the Bible (for example: Psalm 121:7-8; Romans 15:13; 2 Cor. 13:14; Ephesians 3:20-21; Jude 1:24-25). One of the most famous biblical benedictions was used in the movie Deep Impact. Before the big comet crashed to earth, the US President (played by Morgan Freeman) said...
- Daily Devotional, May 20, 2011 "Sacred Spaces"5/19/2011 - Atorii is a traditional Japanese gate typically painted brilliant red and found at the entrance of Shinto shrines and Japanese Buddhist temples devoted to particular gods. Adherents to those religions believe it marks the point where one leaves the secular world and enters the holy. A large and famous torii stands off the shore of Miyajima Island in the Hiroshima Prefecture of Japan. Visitors are informed it’s “sacred” space.
- Daily Devotional, May 19, 2011 "Protecting Life"5/18/2011 - Russell Turnbull was riding a bus one night when a fight broke out. He tried to intervene, but in the process someone sprayed ammonia into his right eye. The powerful liquid scarred his cornea, causing him to lose sight and experience chronic pain. A doctor was able to cut away a tiny portion of Turnbull’s other cornea and use adult stem cells to grow a patch for the damaged one. “The operation was a complete success, and I now have my sight back,” says Turnbull.
- Daily Devotional- Featuring Bebo Norman, May 18, 20115/17/2011 - God of My Everything is a prayer that I wrote watching my older brother’s 15-year struggle with addiction and recovery. It is a difficult thing to speak openly in our Christian communities about what it means for a fellow believer to struggle with something as culturally frowned upon as addiction…but it has been perhaps the most inspiring story that I have ever witnessed. I have seen firsthand what it means for someone to truly offer God everything…every lie, every deceptive word, every...
No playlists found for this account.