Stories Jesus Told: The Prodigal Son, Part 1 (A Bible Study on Luke 15)May 23, 2022 ● 17 min
Share this episode
This is perhaps the most famous parable Jesus told. This week, we are looking at this story from the eyes of the father, and the eyes of the younger son.
Check out: Rembrandt’s ‘Return of the Prodigal Son’ - https://bit.ly/3PCQmkL
1. WHAT DOES IT SAY?
- The younger son says he wants his inheritance. This is egregious- who asks for their inheritance before the parent dies? But the father doesn’t protest – he gives the son his share of the inheritance.
- He leaves for a distant country and squanders it all. Then the country experiences a famine, and unprepared, he finds himself with nothing. He goes to feed pigs – an unclean animal to the Jews. He’s so hungry he wants to eat the food of the pigs. No one is there for him.
- Decides to go back to his father and beg to become his servant.
- The father sees the son, runs to him, kisses him, clothes him, and celebrates his return.
2. WHAT’S THE BACKSTORY?
Jesus is telling stories of things people lose – and the final story is about an actual person who is lost.
3. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
Our Heavenly Father is waiting for our return, scanning the horizon. He runs to us, full of compassion.
4. WHAT DOES IT MEAN FOR ME?
What piece of this story can you relate to?
Are you trying to will yourself back to the good path?
Can you recognize yourself in the younger son? What will you do with the astounding level of grace and love God has for you?
We reap what we sow – what are we reaping in this life?
Check out Nicole’s book on this topic: Help! My Bible Is Alive: 30 Days of Learning to Love and Understand God’s Word - https://www.amazon.com/Help-My-Bible-Alive-Understand/dp/1641580216
A Prayer for a Lost Loved One - Your Daily Prayer - September 21
No one is too far gone for His arm to rescue!
The latest news and hot topics trending among Christian music, entertainment and faith life.