Not about FameHow has Jesus changed your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 29
He humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross (v.8).
According to The Wall Street Journal, there’s a new fad among top-level executives. It’s called humility. One former leader states that humility “is the flavor du jour.” Companies prize humble leaders because they listen well and share the limelight. Of course, the leaders have to actually be humble. Fakers abound, like a former executive who constantly stole the limelight from subordinates. According to one observer, “He didn’t understand the humility part of being humble.”
Jesus fully understood the “humility part of being humble.”
Though He was God, He humbled Himself like a slave and lived in obedient submission to God the Father. Jesus willingly became a human being for our sake (Philippians 2:6-7). This wasn’t mere similarity, but true identity with human beings. Christ was born and grew up in humble circumstances (Luke 2:7,12,16,22-24), He was obedient to His human parents (v.51), He submitted to baptism (Matthew 3:13-15), He endured insults and ill-treatment (26:66-67; 1 Peter 2:23), and ultimately humbled Himself by dying a criminal’s death on a cross to save us (Philippians 2:8).
Unquestionably, Jesus demonstrated full and willing humility. His life of humble obedience to the Father is a model for us. We’re called to empty ourselves of our self- interests, submit to God, and follow Him. When we humble ourselves, He promises to delight in us, rescue us, lift us up, support us, lead us in His way, and be gracious to us.
To refuse to humble ourselves before God is to invite Him to humble us. He will do so, not to hurt us, but to restore and renew us (1 Peter 5:5-7). In Jesus, may the Holy Spirit empower us to live free of self-interest as we willingly serve others. —Marvin Williams
Read 1 Kings 3:7 and consider the humility of King Solomon.
What makes it difficult for you to swallow your pride and serve others as Jesus did? What are some practical things you can do to demonstrate humility this week?
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more