Tongues AfireWhen have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?
Top Music Videos
Friday February 21
In Indonesia, scientists have located remains of an ancient people that may have—over the years—shrunk due to what they call “island dwarfism.” The researchers have used the name hobbit to identify the remains. Though hobbits are fictitious creatures, we’re naturally curious about what might cause humans to grow smaller.
The writer of Hebrews penned his words to a community of believers that were experiencing much pain and hardship, but were not shrinking in their faith. Though facing “terrible suffering,” they had remained true to their faith in God (Hebrews 10:32). The writer provides a litany of the great hardships they endured: “Sometimes you were exposed to public ridicule and were beaten, and sometimes you helped others who were suffering the same things” (v.33). Many had been killed. Many were thrown in jail. Many had their possessions and livelihoods ripped away. Yet they “knew there were better things waiting” for them, and they endured temporary persecution even as they leaned toward eternal joy (v.34).
As we know, however, pain wears down the soul. Over the years, the body and the mind grow weary. We often carry the brunt of disappointment when God’s rescue is delayed or His promises seem vacant. To those of us enduring those challenges, Hebrews encourages us to take heart: “Do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord,” the writer says. “Patient endurance is what you need now” (vv.35-36).
Weariness and doubt are part of the human struggle. But as we keep our heart fixed on the promise and joy of God, we affirm that we’re not those “who turn away.” We don’t grow smaller in our faith. Rather, we’re the ones who trust in the One who saves (v.39). —Winn Collier
But we do not belong to those who shrink back (v.39 NIV).
Where is your faith being most tested? How are you being tempted to shrink back? What encourages you to stand tall for what you believe?
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more