The Lost VirtueIn what common circumstances are you most impatient?
Top Christian Music Videos
Friday February 21
In Indonesia, scientists have located remains of an ancient people that may have—over the years—shrunk due to what they call “island dwarfism.” The researchers have used the name hobbit to identify the remains. Though hobbits are fictitious creatures, we’re naturally curious about what might cause humans to grow smaller.
The writer of Hebrews penned his words to a community of believers that were experiencing much pain and hardship, but were not shrinking in their faith. Though facing “terrible suffering,” they had remained true to their faith in God (Hebrews 10:32). The writer provides a litany of the great hardships they endured: “Sometimes you were exposed to public ridicule and were beaten, and sometimes you helped others who were suffering the same things” (v.33). Many had been killed. Many were thrown in jail. Many had their possessions and livelihoods ripped away. Yet they “knew there were better things waiting” for them, and they endured temporary persecution even as they leaned toward eternal joy (v.34).
As we know, however, pain wears down the soul. Over the years, the body and the mind grow weary. We often carry the brunt of disappointment when God’s rescue is delayed or His promises seem vacant. To those of us enduring those challenges, Hebrews encourages us to take heart: “Do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord,” the writer says. “Patient endurance is what you need now” (vv.35-36).
Weariness and doubt are part of the human struggle. But as we keep our heart fixed on the promise and joy of God, we affirm that we’re not those “who turn away.” We don’t grow smaller in our faith. Rather, we’re the ones who trust in the One who saves (v.39). —Winn Collier
But we do not belong to those who shrink back (v.39 NIV).
Where is your faith being most tested? How are you being tempted to shrink back? What encourages you to stand tall for what you believe?
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more