MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
Friday February 21
In Indonesia, scientists have located remains of an ancient people that may have—over the years—shrunk due to what they call “island dwarfism.” The researchers have used the name hobbit to identify the remains. Though hobbits are fictitious creatures, we’re naturally curious about what might cause humans to grow smaller.
The writer of Hebrews penned his words to a community of believers that were experiencing much pain and hardship, but were not shrinking in their faith. Though facing “terrible suffering,” they had remained true to their faith in God (Hebrews 10:32). The writer provides a litany of the great hardships they endured: “Sometimes you were exposed to public ridicule and were beaten, and sometimes you helped others who were suffering the same things” (v.33). Many had been killed. Many were thrown in jail. Many had their possessions and livelihoods ripped away. Yet they “knew there were better things waiting” for them, and they endured temporary persecution even as they leaned toward eternal joy (v.34).
As we know, however, pain wears down the soul. Over the years, the body and the mind grow weary. We often carry the brunt of disappointment when God’s rescue is delayed or His promises seem vacant. To those of us enduring those challenges, Hebrews encourages us to take heart: “Do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord,” the writer says. “Patient endurance is what you need now” (vv.35-36).
Weariness and doubt are part of the human struggle. But as we keep our heart fixed on the promise and joy of God, we affirm that we’re not those “who turn away.” We don’t grow smaller in our faith. Rather, we’re the ones who trust in the One who saves (v.39). —Winn Collier
But we do not belong to those who shrink back (v.39 NIV).
Where is your faith being most tested? How are you being tempted to shrink back? What encourages you to stand tall for what you believe?
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more