Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Friday February 21
In Indonesia, scientists have located remains of an ancient people that may have—over the years—shrunk due to what they call “island dwarfism.” The researchers have used the name hobbit to identify the remains. Though hobbits are fictitious creatures, we’re naturally curious about what might cause humans to grow smaller.
The writer of Hebrews penned his words to a community of believers that were experiencing much pain and hardship, but were not shrinking in their faith. Though facing “terrible suffering,” they had remained true to their faith in God (Hebrews 10:32). The writer provides a litany of the great hardships they endured: “Sometimes you were exposed to public ridicule and were beaten, and sometimes you helped others who were suffering the same things” (v.33). Many had been killed. Many were thrown in jail. Many had their possessions and livelihoods ripped away. Yet they “knew there were better things waiting” for them, and they endured temporary persecution even as they leaned toward eternal joy (v.34).
As we know, however, pain wears down the soul. Over the years, the body and the mind grow weary. We often carry the brunt of disappointment when God’s rescue is delayed or His promises seem vacant. To those of us enduring those challenges, Hebrews encourages us to take heart: “Do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord,” the writer says. “Patient endurance is what you need now” (vv.35-36).
Weariness and doubt are part of the human struggle. But as we keep our heart fixed on the promise and joy of God, we affirm that we’re not those “who turn away.” We don’t grow smaller in our faith. Rather, we’re the ones who trust in the One who saves (v.39). —Winn Collier
But we do not belong to those who shrink back (v.39 NIV).
Where is your faith being most tested? How are you being tempted to shrink back? What encourages you to stand tall for what you believe?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more