The Shepherd's VoiceHave you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?
Top Christian Music Videos
Saturday September 14
God knows you
Collectors Weekly recently posted a fascinating series of pictures of the contents of suitcases left behind by deceased patients of the Willard Asylum for the Chronic Insane between 1910 and the 1960s. The images tell stories but leave many questions. One suitcase held a woman’s collection of whimsical hairbrushes, packed next to a small straw broom. Another suitcase held a clock, a tube of shoe cream, and a small hand-carved Scottish terrier. There were books, musical instruments, photographs, and journals. Each photo reminds you that a person left this luggage behind, a person who was someone’s mother, brother, or friend. The scattered remnants give us vague glimpses of the people who owned them.
God speaks an assuring word to the prophet Jeremiah, a word that also assures us. “I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb. “Before you were born I set you apart” (Jeremiah 1:5). Jeremiah was no surprise to God. No person is.
He doesn’t merely know about us, as though we were a random fact lodged in His brain. Rather, God intimately knows us (meaning a deep, personal knowing—what people once called a soul knowing). Even more, God formed us. We are His idea, His creation. God desired us.
Still, Jeremiah protested. It’s as though he believed this word was too good to be true. God had affirmed a call on the prophet’s life, but Jeremiah was afraid. He said, “I can’t speak for you! I’m too young” (v.6). Fear keeps us from hearing God’s words of love and from receiving His delight.
God persisted. “Don’t be afraid...for I will be with you” (v.8). He knows and loves us completely. —Winn Collier
I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb (v.5).
Read Jeremiah 17:7-10. Who can know your heart? What blessing comes to the one who trusts in God
What do you feel when encountering the fact of God’s deep knowledge of you? What space in your heart do you need to open up to God’s probing love?
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more