Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
Saturday September 14
God knows you
Collectors Weekly recently posted a fascinating series of pictures of the contents of suitcases left behind by deceased patients of the Willard Asylum for the Chronic Insane between 1910 and the 1960s. The images tell stories but leave many questions. One suitcase held a woman’s collection of whimsical hairbrushes, packed next to a small straw broom. Another suitcase held a clock, a tube of shoe cream, and a small hand-carved Scottish terrier. There were books, musical instruments, photographs, and journals. Each photo reminds you that a person left this luggage behind, a person who was someone’s mother, brother, or friend. The scattered remnants give us vague glimpses of the people who owned them.
God speaks an assuring word to the prophet Jeremiah, a word that also assures us. “I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb. “Before you were born I set you apart” (Jeremiah 1:5). Jeremiah was no surprise to God. No person is.
He doesn’t merely know about us, as though we were a random fact lodged in His brain. Rather, God intimately knows us (meaning a deep, personal knowing—what people once called a soul knowing). Even more, God formed us. We are His idea, His creation. God desired us.
Still, Jeremiah protested. It’s as though he believed this word was too good to be true. God had affirmed a call on the prophet’s life, but Jeremiah was afraid. He said, “I can’t speak for you! I’m too young” (v.6). Fear keeps us from hearing God’s words of love and from receiving His delight.
God persisted. “Don’t be afraid...for I will be with you” (v.8). He knows and loves us completely. —Winn Collier
I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb (v.5).
Read Jeremiah 17:7-10. Who can know your heart? What blessing comes to the one who trusts in God
What do you feel when encountering the fact of God’s deep knowledge of you? What space in your heart do you need to open up to God’s probing love?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more