Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
Saturday March 29
Ty Morin hopes to photograph 788 “friends” by the year 2016. His picture-taking project, entitled “Friend Request: Accepted,” will require him to photograph each of his Facebook friends doing what they love— anything from firefighting to weightlifting. Although many of his friends live in remote regions of the world, he feels it’s important to show up and connect personally with each one—spending at least an hour taking pictures. Through his project, Morin wants to combat the impersonal, superficial nature of online “friending.”
Ty Morin’s project reminds me of the way Jesus personally reached out to humankind. He befriended us when “[He] became human and made his home among us” (John 1:14). Jesus lived with humans—He locked eyes with some, healed others, ate meals, fished, sailed, preached— all because He refused to stay removed from our world. He came to earth so that we could know Him not only as God, but also as a fellow human and friend.
Jesus told His disciples, “Now you are my friends” (15:15), and He proved it by confiding in them. He said, “I have told you everything the Father told me” (v.15). This level of sharing showed His care and created joy in the hearts of His followers (17:13). The depth of Jesus’ friendship was also revealed by sacrifice. Jesus said, “There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends” (15:13), and then He allowed himself to be crucified for our sake.
The friendship Jesus offers is not a one-click event—it’s an ongoing thing. He loves us deeply and has invited us to remain in His love (v.9). Jesus wants to hear us and help us with our struggles every day (Matthew 11:28- 30). This close connection with Him can minister to our souls when we feel disconnected from the people in our world. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Now you are my friends (v.15).
How might God’s friendship inspire us to improve our friendships with others? Close friendship can be risky. Why should we as believers in Jesus be willing to form deeper relationships?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more