FearlessHow can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?
Top Christian Music Videos
Saturday March 29
Ty Morin hopes to photograph 788 “friends” by the year 2016. His picture-taking project, entitled “Friend Request: Accepted,” will require him to photograph each of his Facebook friends doing what they love— anything from firefighting to weightlifting. Although many of his friends live in remote regions of the world, he feels it’s important to show up and connect personally with each one—spending at least an hour taking pictures. Through his project, Morin wants to combat the impersonal, superficial nature of online “friending.”
Ty Morin’s project reminds me of the way Jesus personally reached out to humankind. He befriended us when “[He] became human and made his home among us” (John 1:14). Jesus lived with humans—He locked eyes with some, healed others, ate meals, fished, sailed, preached— all because He refused to stay removed from our world. He came to earth so that we could know Him not only as God, but also as a fellow human and friend.
Jesus told His disciples, “Now you are my friends” (15:15), and He proved it by confiding in them. He said, “I have told you everything the Father told me” (v.15). This level of sharing showed His care and created joy in the hearts of His followers (17:13). The depth of Jesus’ friendship was also revealed by sacrifice. Jesus said, “There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends” (15:13), and then He allowed himself to be crucified for our sake.
The friendship Jesus offers is not a one-click event—it’s an ongoing thing. He loves us deeply and has invited us to remain in His love (v.9). Jesus wants to hear us and help us with our struggles every day (Matthew 11:28- 30). This close connection with Him can minister to our souls when we feel disconnected from the people in our world. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Now you are my friends (v.15).
How might God’s friendship inspire us to improve our friendships with others? Close friendship can be risky. Why should we as believers in Jesus be willing to form deeper relationships?
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more