LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
Saturday March 29
Ty Morin hopes to photograph 788 “friends” by the year 2016. His picture-taking project, entitled “Friend Request: Accepted,” will require him to photograph each of his Facebook friends doing what they love— anything from firefighting to weightlifting. Although many of his friends live in remote regions of the world, he feels it’s important to show up and connect personally with each one—spending at least an hour taking pictures. Through his project, Morin wants to combat the impersonal, superficial nature of online “friending.”
Ty Morin’s project reminds me of the way Jesus personally reached out to humankind. He befriended us when “[He] became human and made his home among us” (John 1:14). Jesus lived with humans—He locked eyes with some, healed others, ate meals, fished, sailed, preached— all because He refused to stay removed from our world. He came to earth so that we could know Him not only as God, but also as a fellow human and friend.
Jesus told His disciples, “Now you are my friends” (15:15), and He proved it by confiding in them. He said, “I have told you everything the Father told me” (v.15). This level of sharing showed His care and created joy in the hearts of His followers (17:13). The depth of Jesus’ friendship was also revealed by sacrifice. Jesus said, “There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends” (15:13), and then He allowed himself to be crucified for our sake.
The friendship Jesus offers is not a one-click event—it’s an ongoing thing. He loves us deeply and has invited us to remain in His love (v.9). Jesus wants to hear us and help us with our struggles every day (Matthew 11:28- 30). This close connection with Him can minister to our souls when we feel disconnected from the people in our world. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Now you are my friends (v.15).
How might God’s friendship inspire us to improve our friendships with others? Close friendship can be risky. Why should we as believers in Jesus be willing to form deeper relationships?
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more