Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
Have you ever been short of money when it really mattered? As a college student working on a post-graduate degree, Keith Taylor worked three jobs. When his car broke down, he had to decide: pay the rent, or repair the car? He fixed his Ford Escort and would have been evicted if it hadn't been for a bighearted boss who handed him a gift of $525 so he could pay his landlord.
Keith now runs modestneeds.com, a Web site that helps people bridge small financial gaps. Amazingly, a whopping 70 percent of those who are helped go back to the site to donate.
Taylor's program embodies Paul's words to the Corinthians: "Right now you have plenty and can help those who are in need. Later, they will have plenty and can share with you when you need it" (v.14).
Okay, so we know we're supposed to "use [our] worldly resources to benefit others" (Luke 16:9), but I think God is more interested in our willingness than the amount of money we actually fork over. "God loves a person who gives cheerfully" (2 Corinthians 9:7), and He can use any amount to provide for others. Paul said, "Whatever you give is acceptable if you give it eagerly" (8:12).
Giving eagerly does not always mean donating until our bank accounts are empty. Paul reminded believers, "I don't mean your giving should make life easy for others and hard for yourselves" (2 Corinthians 8:13). Rather, we're to "give in proportion to what [we] have" (v.11).
God loves it when we're generous with people. So here's a challenge: Take a look at what God has given you. How much could you comfortably, willingly give away to help meet the needs of the people around you, modest or otherwise? , Jennifer Benson Schuldt, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more