Top Christian Music Videos
In Defense of Love
Love your enemies (v.44).
Throughout much of 2011, Greece experienced unrest as round after round of austerity measures were passed, reducing pension payments and slashing worker benefits. Listening to interviews on the BBC, I heard shopkeepers and laborers speak of the gloom they felt about their future. Some were angry. Some were resigned. Everyone felt hopeless. Protests escalated. The government convulsed. Greeks expressed anger at politicians and anger at the wealthy class—anger at anyone who was deemed to have contributed to (or profited from) the crisis.
I know little of the intricacies of the politics and economy of Greece, and even less about whether the anger and unrest was justified (though I suspect that much of it had good cause). Throughout history, however, those under the heel of hardship have often lashed out at the real (or perceived) oppressors. It was no different in Jesus’ day. For years, the Jews had been looking for a revolutionary leader who would instigate a revolutionary movement that would kick the Roman Empire in the teeth and give the people justice.
Some believed Jesus was this political and military leader, but Jesus didn’t agree. The Law had suggested an “eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth,” a retributive justice that was fairer than the previous system where the powerful simply exacted as much penalty as they desired (Matthew 5:38). The kingdom that Jesus proclaimed offered a better way—the way of love. “Love your enemies,” Jesus said (v.44).
And this love is tangible. We pray for those who do us wrong (v.44). Rather than retaliating, we offer them generosity (vv.40-41). The way of the world makes human sense, but it isn’t the way of Jesus’ kingdom. When we walk the way of costly love, we will “be acting as true children of [God]” (v.45).
Read Luke 6:27. Mark down each command. How does the kingdom of God instruct us to treat our adversaries?
What concrete actions does God’s kingdom of love instruct you to do? How will you obey these instructions today?
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more