Are You Proud of Me?God loves us and is proud to call us His children.
Top Christian Music Videos
In Defense of Love
Love your enemies (v.44).
Throughout much of 2011, Greece experienced unrest as round after round of austerity measures were passed, reducing pension payments and slashing worker benefits. Listening to interviews on the BBC, I heard shopkeepers and laborers speak of the gloom they felt about their future. Some were angry. Some were resigned. Everyone felt hopeless. Protests escalated. The government convulsed. Greeks expressed anger at politicians and anger at the wealthy class—anger at anyone who was deemed to have contributed to (or profited from) the crisis.
I know little of the intricacies of the politics and economy of Greece, and even less about whether the anger and unrest was justified (though I suspect that much of it had good cause). Throughout history, however, those under the heel of hardship have often lashed out at the real (or perceived) oppressors. It was no different in Jesus’ day. For years, the Jews had been looking for a revolutionary leader who would instigate a revolutionary movement that would kick the Roman Empire in the teeth and give the people justice.
Some believed Jesus was this political and military leader, but Jesus didn’t agree. The Law had suggested an “eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth,” a retributive justice that was fairer than the previous system where the powerful simply exacted as much penalty as they desired (Matthew 5:38). The kingdom that Jesus proclaimed offered a better way—the way of love. “Love your enemies,” Jesus said (v.44).
And this love is tangible. We pray for those who do us wrong (v.44). Rather than retaliating, we offer them generosity (vv.40-41). The way of the world makes human sense, but it isn’t the way of Jesus’ kingdom. When we walk the way of costly love, we will “be acting as true children of [God]” (v.45).
Read Luke 6:27. Mark down each command. How does the kingdom of God instruct us to treat our adversaries?
What concrete actions does God’s kingdom of love instruct you to do? How will you obey these instructions today?
- Are You Proud of Me? - God loves us and is proud to call us His children....read more
- View from a Distance - Why is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?...read more
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more