Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Here's a secret about self-control: It works like a muscle," says Douglas McKenna, former director of Microsoft's Leadership Development. "With each use, that muscle temporarily loses some strength, leaving you with reduced capacity to handle yourself if the next self-control challenge pops up too soon.
"That's the bad news. The good news is that just like with any other muscle, you can be smarter about how you use it. And you can strengthen it with exercise." While exercising the self-control muscle may be a new concept to some, this principle has been around for centuries. In the first century, for example, the apostle Paul instructed church leaders and their wives to make self-control workouts a regular part of their leadership training regimen.
"Exercise self-control," Paul exhorted the group, "live wisely, and have a good reputation" (1 Timothy 3:2; see also v.11 and Titus 2:2).
As with any fitness plan, there will always be slackers like Felix, who badgered Paul for advice and then refused to take it: "As [Paul] reasoned with [Felix and his wife] about righteousness and self-control and the coming day of judgment, Felix became frightened. â€˜Go away for now,' he replied. â€˜When it is more convenient, I'll call for you again' " (Acts 24:25).
God calls us to "think clearly and exercise selfcontrol" each moment (1 Peter 1:13) not merely when it's convenient. So set some goals toward strengthening your self-control muscle today. As you do, keep the words of Douglas McKenna in mind: "Small changes to your self-control muscle can make a big difference in your effectiveness as a leader. Don't take my word for it. Try it yourself." More importantly, take God's word for it! , Roxanne Robbins
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more