Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
Here's a secret about self-control: It works like a muscle," says Douglas McKenna, former director of Microsoft's Leadership Development. "With each use, that muscle temporarily loses some strength, leaving you with reduced capacity to handle yourself if the next self-control challenge pops up too soon.
"That's the bad news. The good news is that just like with any other muscle, you can be smarter about how you use it. And you can strengthen it with exercise." While exercising the self-control muscle may be a new concept to some, this principle has been around for centuries. In the first century, for example, the apostle Paul instructed church leaders and their wives to make self-control workouts a regular part of their leadership training regimen.
"Exercise self-control," Paul exhorted the group, "live wisely, and have a good reputation" (1 Timothy 3:2; see also v.11 and Titus 2:2).
As with any fitness plan, there will always be slackers like Felix, who badgered Paul for advice and then refused to take it: "As [Paul] reasoned with [Felix and his wife] about righteousness and self-control and the coming day of judgment, Felix became frightened. â€˜Go away for now,' he replied. â€˜When it is more convenient, I'll call for you again' " (Acts 24:25).
God calls us to "think clearly and exercise selfcontrol" each moment (1 Peter 1:13) not merely when it's convenient. So set some goals toward strengthening your self-control muscle today. As you do, keep the words of Douglas McKenna in mind: "Small changes to your self-control muscle can make a big difference in your effectiveness as a leader. Don't take my word for it. Try it yourself." More importantly, take God's word for it! , Roxanne Robbins
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more