Subscribe to God’s HelpWhat temptations are you battling?
Top Music Videos
All Good Things
Every good thing I have comes from You (v.2).
Recently, I toured Bassett Hall, the home that John D. Rockefeller Jr. and his wife Abby purchased in Williamsburg, Virginia, in the 1930s. Upon the death of the famous philanthropist, the home was bequeathed to the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation—the foundation the Rockefellers had created for the purpose of restoring the many historical sites in the village.
The home was simply a final gesture from a man who spent his life giving away money. While Rockefeller’s father became the wealthiest man in the US (primarily through his Standard Oil empire), his son wanted to spend his life dispersing much of the family fortune. The tour guide told us that Rockefeller donated more than 1.1 billion dollars over the years to tackle causes like ending global poverty and curing yellow fever. To his final days, Rockefeller loved giving.
Scripture tells us that God loves giving. The psalmist David enumerates the wealth of gifts God provided. The great Provider had given him his home, the “pleasant land” (Psalms 16:6). God had given him a “refuge” (v.1), a place where (in spite of the many enemies arrayed against him) he could say that his “body rest[ed] in safety” (v.9).
God’s best gifts, however, were not the material provisions He offered, but rather Himself. “Lord, You alone are my inheritance,” said David. God was his “cup of blessing” (v.5). God gave the “joy of [His] presence,” and the psalm exudes gratitude for the “pleasure of living with [Him] forever” (v.11).
There’s a seamless thread in these words, thankfulness weaving back and forth between God’s many provisions and the gift of God’s own presence. In many respects, Scripture sees these as one and the same. When God is our ultimate blessing, then every gift He gives is another way that He gives us Himself.
Read James 1:16. How many of life’s good gifts does God give? Who are His “prized possession[s]”?
Make a list of the good things God has given you. How do these gifts evoke your gratitude? How do these gifts evidence God’s presence?
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more