Coram Deo How will you focus on the face of God today?
Top Music Videos
My sister is a crime scene investigator in Singapore. One morning, she was abruptly awakened at 4 a.m. by the incessant ringing of her phone, a murder had occurred! She had just 48 hours to gather sufficient evidence to press charges against the murder suspect being held in police custody. Over the next few days, my sister carefully investigated the gruesome crime.
The first night she came home, she said, "When I close my eyes, I can see blood everywhere." The second night, she mused, "I see only wounds and lacerations." The third night, she announced, "I can piece together the crime sequence!"
In some ways, Christians are called to be crime scene investigators too. Take a look at Deuteronomy 17. In verses 2-13, we read twice: "In this way, you will purge the evil from among you" (vv.7, 12). These verses highlight the importance of the Israelites investigating and dealing with sin in their community. Sin is so abhorrent to God that it can't coexist with Him. He is holy, and He expects us to reflect His holiness. Moses, while restating the terms of God's covenant to the Israelites, told them that the effects of sin should not be allowed to fester in the community. Like a cancer, it had to be diagnosed and eradicated.
They were to "investigate the matter thoroughly" (v.4), however. God didn't want them to rush to hasty conclusions. There needed to be two or three witnesses involved (v.6). And to safeguard against false allegations, the witnesses had to throw the first stones (v.7). If the life of an innocent person was taken, they would personally bear the guilt.
When believers we know appear to have fallen into sin, we need to carefully investigate the issue. If sin is present, our goal should be to compassionately encourage them to repent before our holy God. , Poh Fang Chia, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Coram Deo - How will you focus on the face of God today?...read more
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more