Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
2 Corinthians 8:3
Though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, so that
by His poverty He could make you rich (v.9).
For 2 months in Uganda, I was without a car
and had to travel by foot or by using public
transportation. I squeezed into crowded matatus
(minivan taxis) and weaved through traffic on the backs
of boda bodas (motorcycle taxis). Many times, when
no ride was available, I walked in the pouring rain.
Moving about in that fashion was humbling, timeconsuming,
and frustrating. But most of all it was eyeopening
as I saw and experienced my surroundings in
ways that I never had before.
Parting with various belongings or comforts will shift
our vantage point and enhance our empathy. And who
better to illustrate that than Jesus, who left His heavenly
throne to walk among us on earth (Philippians 2:6-8).
Though He didn’t have to, Jesus joined us on this
side of heaven. He slept in a manger (Luke 2:6-7). He
survived life in the wilderness (Mark 1:12). He felt our
grasping hands as we followed Him on the streets (Luke
6:19, 8:43-48). He dealt with our arguments (Mark
8:14-21). He touched our ailing bodies with His bare
hands and healed us (vv.22-25). He washed our dirty
feet (John 13:4-5). He prayed, cried, and pleaded
for help (Hebrews 5:7). He experienced betrayal and
endured physical beatings (John 18:1-11,23). He bore
our shame, died for us, and saved us (Isaiah 53:3;
Colossians 1:19-21; Hebrews 12:2-3).
Jesus didn’t have to leave heaven, but He did out of obedience to the Father
and love for you and me. He now implores us to leave our comfort zones by
caring for orphans and widows (James 1:27), and to seek justice on behalf of
the oppressed (Isaiah 1:17).
Don’t close your eyes to the hurting. Instead, enter into their world so you can
help them experience Jesus.
Second 1 Timothy 1:5 tells us not to be “afraid of suffering for the Lord.”
What is something God has asked you to do that you haven’t begun
because of fear?
How will you imitate Jesus and His love for people this week? What
is one specific thing you will do today for a person in need?
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more