Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
2 Corinthians 8:3
Though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, so that
by His poverty He could make you rich (v.9).
For 2 months in Uganda, I was without a car
and had to travel by foot or by using public
transportation. I squeezed into crowded matatus
(minivan taxis) and weaved through traffic on the backs
of boda bodas (motorcycle taxis). Many times, when
no ride was available, I walked in the pouring rain.
Moving about in that fashion was humbling, timeconsuming,
and frustrating. But most of all it was eyeopening
as I saw and experienced my surroundings in
ways that I never had before.
Parting with various belongings or comforts will shift
our vantage point and enhance our empathy. And who
better to illustrate that than Jesus, who left His heavenly
throne to walk among us on earth (Philippians 2:6-8).
Though He didn’t have to, Jesus joined us on this
side of heaven. He slept in a manger (Luke 2:6-7). He
survived life in the wilderness (Mark 1:12). He felt our
grasping hands as we followed Him on the streets (Luke
6:19, 8:43-48). He dealt with our arguments (Mark
8:14-21). He touched our ailing bodies with His bare
hands and healed us (vv.22-25). He washed our dirty
feet (John 13:4-5). He prayed, cried, and pleaded
for help (Hebrews 5:7). He experienced betrayal and
endured physical beatings (John 18:1-11,23). He bore
our shame, died for us, and saved us (Isaiah 53:3;
Colossians 1:19-21; Hebrews 12:2-3).
Jesus didn’t have to leave heaven, but He did out of obedience to the Father
and love for you and me. He now implores us to leave our comfort zones by
caring for orphans and widows (James 1:27), and to seek justice on behalf of
the oppressed (Isaiah 1:17).
Don’t close your eyes to the hurting. Instead, enter into their world so you can
help them experience Jesus.
Second 1 Timothy 1:5 tells us not to be “afraid of suffering for the Lord.”
What is something God has asked you to do that you haven’t begun
because of fear?
How will you imitate Jesus and His love for people this week? What
is one specific thing you will do today for a person in need?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more