WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
Nell and Jim were hiking in a park when a mountain lion ambushed them, attacking Jim. His wife Nell tried stabbing the animal with a pen. When that didn't work, she beat the lion with a log until it backed off completely!
Most of us will never have to fight off a wild beast, but we may need to defend our family from different kinds of danger, unfair criticism, gossip, or even a neighborhood bully. When the moment arrives, good judgment will be important as we try to keep our family safe.
Abigail is famous for her good sense as she interceded to save her husband from David's plan to "carry out vengeance with [his] own hands" (1 Samuel 25:33). When she discovered David's intentions, "Abigail wasted no time" (v.18). She sent her servants ahead of her to meet David with a load of goodies. Her timely response helped defuse the situation before it exploded.
"When Abigail saw David . . . she fell at his feet and said, â€˜I accept all blame in this matter'" (vv.23-24). Her humility became the starting point for the conversation with a man who was in warrior mode. She must have known that "a gentle answer deflects anger" (Proverbs 15:1).
Abigail's approach worked, and David listened as she admitted, "Nabal is a wicked and ill-tempered man" (v.25). Nabal had screamed insults at David's men, and, although it's never easy to do, Abigail wisely owned up to her family's part in the conflict.
In the end, David said, "Thank God for your good sense!" (v.33), and he let Nabal off the hook. Abigail's sensible recipe, a quick response, a modest approach, and admitting fault, will work for us too as we intercede for our families and others. Goodness prompted by God is a great way to thwart the ambushes of this world. , Jennifer Benson Schuldt, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more