MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
The scrolling message on the TV screen warned us to take cover immediately, and the shadowy sky confirmed we were in for one whopper of a storm. The power flickered on and off. I grabbed a flashlight and carted my 9-month-old son down into the basement.
When I anxiously called my husband at work, he picked up but quickly asked me to "Hold please." I wondered, How could he just brush me off in the middle of an emergency? Even though he worked 45 miles away where it was still bright and sunny, my sky-high expectations demanded his full attention on the phone right then!
It's apparent that Naaman (see 2 Kings 5) and I have both had to deal with great expectations. He, however, was dealing with a far different situation than mine, leprosy. Desperate for a cure, he went to the prophet Elisha, who didn't give Naaman the personal attention he craved. Elisha's instructions to wash "seven times in the Jordan River" (v.10) came through a messenger. Instead of being thankful for a cure, Naaman sneered, "I thought [Elisha] would certainly come out to meet me" (v.11).
It wasn't just the lack of tender loving care that bothered Naaman. He wanted immediate healing. He expected Elisha to "wave his hand over the leprosy and call on the name of the Lord his God and heal [him]" (v.11). When this didn't happen, he "turned and went away in a rage" (v.12).
Like Naaman, our overblown expectations can breed anger and bitterness. Often it's our friends and family who pay the price when we wrongly demand that they meet all of our needs. Instead, we need to remember that only God can do that. He promised, "I will never fail you. I will never abandon you" (Hebrews 13:5). We can rest in His unlimited care and provision. , Jennifer Benson Schuldt, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more