Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
Who Are You?
He has identified you as His own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption (v.30).
Who are you?” boomed front man Roger Daltrey of The Who, channeling guitarist Pete Townshend’s angry lyrics. The 1978 song has attained iconic status, perhaps because it resonates with so many of us. Deep down, we really don’t care what we are. The real question is who we are.
Paul’s letter to the Ephesians divides neatly into two sections. In chapters 1–3, Paul simply reminded his readers who they were—adopted sons and daughters of Jesus Christ. As such, they had . . .
• redemption and forgiveness (Ephesians 1:7)
• a guaranteed inheritance through Jesus Christ (1:11-14) • eternal life by God’s grace (2:1-10)
• intimacy, peace, reconciliation, and unity with God and His children (2:11-18)
• citizenship in the dwelling place of God (2:19-22)
Because of who we are, Paul could turn his attention in chapters 4–6 to commands and instructions for us. “Lead a life worthy of your calling, for [we] have been called by God,” he wrote (4:1). “Keep yourselves united in the Spirit” (v.3). We are to “imitate God . . . because [we] are His dear children” (5:1). “Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion” (6:18).
“Can you see the real me?” demanded Daltrey in another desperate, searching song by The Who. Were we to ask that question of a watching world, the answer ought to be a resounding yes. Our lives are to be open books. We are “people of light” who don’t need to hide in the shadows (5:8).
Other people may not understand us. But they should wonder about the mysterious plan that is God’s church (3:3) and inquire about it. Our answer? We are simply forgiven and accepted by God as His children and reconciled to Him by His Son Jesus, who gave up His life for us (5:25).
So, who are you?
What does Ephesians 2:19 tell us is the basis for our unity with other believers in Jesus Christ?
Is your life an open book to others? What might you be hiding and why?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more