Cleansing and CallingWhat does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Who Are You?
He has identified you as His own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption (v.30).
Who are you?” boomed front man Roger Daltrey of The Who, channeling guitarist Pete Townshend’s angry lyrics. The 1978 song has attained iconic status, perhaps because it resonates with so many of us. Deep down, we really don’t care what we are. The real question is who we are.
Paul’s letter to the Ephesians divides neatly into two sections. In chapters 1–3, Paul simply reminded his readers who they were—adopted sons and daughters of Jesus Christ. As such, they had . . .
• redemption and forgiveness (Ephesians 1:7)
• a guaranteed inheritance through Jesus Christ (1:11-14) • eternal life by God’s grace (2:1-10)
• intimacy, peace, reconciliation, and unity with God and His children (2:11-18)
• citizenship in the dwelling place of God (2:19-22)
Because of who we are, Paul could turn his attention in chapters 4–6 to commands and instructions for us. “Lead a life worthy of your calling, for [we] have been called by God,” he wrote (4:1). “Keep yourselves united in the Spirit” (v.3). We are to “imitate God . . . because [we] are His dear children” (5:1). “Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion” (6:18).
“Can you see the real me?” demanded Daltrey in another desperate, searching song by The Who. Were we to ask that question of a watching world, the answer ought to be a resounding yes. Our lives are to be open books. We are “people of light” who don’t need to hide in the shadows (5:8).
Other people may not understand us. But they should wonder about the mysterious plan that is God’s church (3:3) and inquire about it. Our answer? We are simply forgiven and accepted by God as His children and reconciled to Him by His Son Jesus, who gave up His life for us (5:25).
So, who are you?
What does Ephesians 2:19 tell us is the basis for our unity with other believers in Jesus Christ?
Is your life an open book to others? What might you be hiding and why?
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more