Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
Who Are You?
He has identified you as His own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption (v.30).
Who are you?” boomed front man Roger Daltrey of The Who, channeling guitarist Pete Townshend’s angry lyrics. The 1978 song has attained iconic status, perhaps because it resonates with so many of us. Deep down, we really don’t care what we are. The real question is who we are.
Paul’s letter to the Ephesians divides neatly into two sections. In chapters 1–3, Paul simply reminded his readers who they were—adopted sons and daughters of Jesus Christ. As such, they had . . .
• redemption and forgiveness (Ephesians 1:7)
• a guaranteed inheritance through Jesus Christ (1:11-14) • eternal life by God’s grace (2:1-10)
• intimacy, peace, reconciliation, and unity with God and His children (2:11-18)
• citizenship in the dwelling place of God (2:19-22)
Because of who we are, Paul could turn his attention in chapters 4–6 to commands and instructions for us. “Lead a life worthy of your calling, for [we] have been called by God,” he wrote (4:1). “Keep yourselves united in the Spirit” (v.3). We are to “imitate God . . . because [we] are His dear children” (5:1). “Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion” (6:18).
“Can you see the real me?” demanded Daltrey in another desperate, searching song by The Who. Were we to ask that question of a watching world, the answer ought to be a resounding yes. Our lives are to be open books. We are “people of light” who don’t need to hide in the shadows (5:8).
Other people may not understand us. But they should wonder about the mysterious plan that is God’s church (3:3) and inquire about it. Our answer? We are simply forgiven and accepted by God as His children and reconciled to Him by His Son Jesus, who gave up His life for us (5:25).
So, who are you?
What does Ephesians 2:19 tell us is the basis for our unity with other believers in Jesus Christ?
Is your life an open book to others? What might you be hiding and why?
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more