Representing JesusIn what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?
Top Music Videos
Tale of Two Rich Men
Many of us are familiar with the story of Zacchaeus,
the “wee little man” (as the Sunday school song
goes) who climbed up a sycamore tree to see
Jesus passing by. However, Luke sets Zacchaeus’ story in
close context to the story of another rich man—a young
and wealthy leader who visited Jesus. The proximity of
the two narratives highlights stark contrasts:
• The young rich man believed he was righteous,
stressing how he had “obeyed all [the] commandments”
since he was young (18:21). Zacchaeus, however, said
that if he had “cheated people on their taxes, he would
give them back four times as much” (19:8).
• The people believed the young rich man to be
righteous and were sure that if he wasn’t close to God,
nobody was (18:26), while nobody believed Zacchaeus
was righteous, calling him a “notorious sinner” (19:7).
• The young man wanted his wealth more than he
wanted God. When Jesus invited him to give his money
away and follow Him, he “became very sad, for he was
very rich” (18:23). When Zacchaeus encountered Jesus,
however, he “quickly climbed down and took Jesus to his
house in great excitement and joy” (19:6).
The only similarity between the two seems to be
that they were both wealthy. Everything contrasted from
there. And it becomes obvious that the primary issue
wasn’t their money, but their heart. Jesus asked the young
rich man to give away everything (an extreme request for a proud man who
needed to see he wasn’t as righteous as he considered himself to be). But He
didn’t ask Zacchaeus to give up anything. His only request was for an invitation
to eat at his house.
After encountering real love and true righteousness, Zacchaeus repented
Review both passages again. What other contrasts do you see?
Any similarities? What other clues do you find as to their different heartposture
Are you more like the rich young man (selfdependent) or Zacchaeus
(quick to receive mercy)? Would God ask you to give away everything or
to invite Him to dinner?
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more