Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
Tale of Two Rich Men
Many of us are familiar with the story of Zacchaeus,
the “wee little man” (as the Sunday school song
goes) who climbed up a sycamore tree to see
Jesus passing by. However, Luke sets Zacchaeus’ story in
close context to the story of another rich man—a young
and wealthy leader who visited Jesus. The proximity of
the two narratives highlights stark contrasts:
• The young rich man believed he was righteous,
stressing how he had “obeyed all [the] commandments”
since he was young (18:21). Zacchaeus, however, said
that if he had “cheated people on their taxes, he would
give them back four times as much” (19:8).
• The people believed the young rich man to be
righteous and were sure that if he wasn’t close to God,
nobody was (18:26), while nobody believed Zacchaeus
was righteous, calling him a “notorious sinner” (19:7).
• The young man wanted his wealth more than he
wanted God. When Jesus invited him to give his money
away and follow Him, he “became very sad, for he was
very rich” (18:23). When Zacchaeus encountered Jesus,
however, he “quickly climbed down and took Jesus to his
house in great excitement and joy” (19:6).
The only similarity between the two seems to be
that they were both wealthy. Everything contrasted from
there. And it becomes obvious that the primary issue
wasn’t their money, but their heart. Jesus asked the young
rich man to give away everything (an extreme request for a proud man who
needed to see he wasn’t as righteous as he considered himself to be). But He
didn’t ask Zacchaeus to give up anything. His only request was for an invitation
to eat at his house.
After encountering real love and true righteousness, Zacchaeus repented
Review both passages again. What other contrasts do you see?
Any similarities? What other clues do you find as to their different heartposture
Are you more like the rich young man (selfdependent) or Zacchaeus
(quick to receive mercy)? Would God ask you to give away everything or
to invite Him to dinner?
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more