Tender HeartsHow can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Corinthians 3:12
But on the judgment day, fire will reveal what kind of work each builder has
done. The fire will show if a person’s work has any value (v.13).
One summer when I was in elementary school,
some of the neighborhood kids built a fort out
of scrap wood. Precariously balanced on the
ground, it consisted of three levels with enough room for
two small bodies on each level. My dad, upon seeing
their creation, promptly prohibited me from climbing
in it as he was convinced it was an accident waiting
to happen. Dismayed, I obeyed. Dad knew that I had
been ignoring the rusty protruding nails and splitting
swaybacked boards, for I had been focused on what
looked like fun. But the fort wasn’t built to last.
On any given day, we have a multitude of things
clamoring for our attention. From the mundane to the
monumental, life is a series of choices. It’s easy to respond
to whatever conveniently crosses our path, commands
our attention, or seems most pleasurable, but Scripture
reminds us to be exceedingly deliberate. Philippians 1:10
says, “I want you to understand what really matters, so
that you may live pure and blameless lives.”
Writing to the Corinthian church, Paul taught that there
is no other foundation than Jesus, because salvation
comes only by accepting His life in exchange for ours.
But Paul goes on to clarify that salvation is the foundation
(beginning point) of our lives—and what we build from
there depends on the choices we make each day.
We can be saved but choose to spend our lives in
fruitless activity (1 Corinthians 3:15). On the other hand, we can understand our
salvation to such a depth that every moment becomes an offering given back to
God. Our works will not be tested by their appearances, our level of enjoyment,
or others’ opinions. It’s the fire of God that will reveal if we have lived with this
world or the next in mind.
Read Matthew 6:19 to see the connection between the investments
we make in life and the condition of our hearts.
How can ordinary things become eternal investments? Why
shouldn’t we base the significance of our investments on the
attention they garner? (Matthew 6:4).
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more