Living Houses of PrayerWhat does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Corinthians 3:12
But on the judgment day, fire will reveal what kind of work each builder has
done. The fire will show if a person’s work has any value (v.13).
One summer when I was in elementary school,
some of the neighborhood kids built a fort out
of scrap wood. Precariously balanced on the
ground, it consisted of three levels with enough room for
two small bodies on each level. My dad, upon seeing
their creation, promptly prohibited me from climbing
in it as he was convinced it was an accident waiting
to happen. Dismayed, I obeyed. Dad knew that I had
been ignoring the rusty protruding nails and splitting
swaybacked boards, for I had been focused on what
looked like fun. But the fort wasn’t built to last.
On any given day, we have a multitude of things
clamoring for our attention. From the mundane to the
monumental, life is a series of choices. It’s easy to respond
to whatever conveniently crosses our path, commands
our attention, or seems most pleasurable, but Scripture
reminds us to be exceedingly deliberate. Philippians 1:10
says, “I want you to understand what really matters, so
that you may live pure and blameless lives.”
Writing to the Corinthian church, Paul taught that there
is no other foundation than Jesus, because salvation
comes only by accepting His life in exchange for ours.
But Paul goes on to clarify that salvation is the foundation
(beginning point) of our lives—and what we build from
there depends on the choices we make each day.
We can be saved but choose to spend our lives in
fruitless activity (1 Corinthians 3:15). On the other hand, we can understand our
salvation to such a depth that every moment becomes an offering given back to
God. Our works will not be tested by their appearances, our level of enjoyment,
or others’ opinions. It’s the fire of God that will reveal if we have lived with this
world or the next in mind.
Read Matthew 6:19 to see the connection between the investments
we make in life and the condition of our hearts.
How can ordinary things become eternal investments? Why
shouldn’t we base the significance of our investments on the
attention they garner? (Matthew 6:4).
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more