Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
Go, Reveal Him
You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden (v.14).
If you didn’t grow up in a Christian home, chances are that you didn’t come to faith through a message heard on radio or TV, read in a magazine article, or heard in a debate. No, it’s likely a believer in Jesus entered your life and provided spiritual illumination beyond this world.
Jesus predicted as much. God is described as light (1 John 1:5). Jesus, the light of the world, shone with this light (John 1:5). And, like a flame that is passed from candlewick to candlewick, He said His people would radiate this light too. “You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden” (Matthew 5:14), He told His followers.
This is the second of two great callings Jesus gives us. We’re to be salt in the world—preserving it from decay and enhancing whatever is true and good within it (v.13)—and we’re to be the world’s light. As salt, we influence society. As light, we influence hearts.
Light attracts. Light purifies. Light reveals. When God’s light shines into our hearts, it reveals our darkness (6:23), purifies us from sin (1 John 1:7), and makes us beacons to others, drawing them to the Light that now glows within us.
And how do we reveal this Light to others? “Let your good deeds shine out for all to see,” Jesus directs us, “so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father” (Matthew 5:16). Acts of compassion, kindness, patience, and love reveal the character of the One now shining within us (Galatians 5:22). This is what it means to glorify God. When our lives mirror God’s life we glorify—reveal— Him. And He is a most glorious God. That’s why people praise Him when they see our good works.
So go, reveal Him. In word and deed, be the light of your corner of the world.
Read Ephesians 5:8 to discover more about living a light-filled life.
How have you seen God shine through others? What light from God might others glimpse in you today?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more