The Job ParadoxWhen have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?
Top Music Videos
Go, Reveal Him
You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden (v.14).
If you didn’t grow up in a Christian home, chances are that you didn’t come to faith through a message heard on radio or TV, read in a magazine article, or heard in a debate. No, it’s likely a believer in Jesus entered your life and provided spiritual illumination beyond this world.
Jesus predicted as much. God is described as light (1 John 1:5). Jesus, the light of the world, shone with this light (John 1:5). And, like a flame that is passed from candlewick to candlewick, He said His people would radiate this light too. “You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden” (Matthew 5:14), He told His followers.
This is the second of two great callings Jesus gives us. We’re to be salt in the world—preserving it from decay and enhancing whatever is true and good within it (v.13)—and we’re to be the world’s light. As salt, we influence society. As light, we influence hearts.
Light attracts. Light purifies. Light reveals. When God’s light shines into our hearts, it reveals our darkness (6:23), purifies us from sin (1 John 1:7), and makes us beacons to others, drawing them to the Light that now glows within us.
And how do we reveal this Light to others? “Let your good deeds shine out for all to see,” Jesus directs us, “so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father” (Matthew 5:16). Acts of compassion, kindness, patience, and love reveal the character of the One now shining within us (Galatians 5:22). This is what it means to glorify God. When our lives mirror God’s life we glorify—reveal— Him. And He is a most glorious God. That’s why people praise Him when they see our good works.
So go, reveal Him. In word and deed, be the light of your corner of the world.
Read Ephesians 5:8 to discover more about living a light-filled life.
How have you seen God shine through others? What light from God might others glimpse in you today?
- The Job Paradox - When have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?...read more
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more