UnbreakableHow can you use your suffering to point others to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Go, Reveal Him
You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden (v.14).
If you didn’t grow up in a Christian home, chances are that you didn’t come to faith through a message heard on radio or TV, read in a magazine article, or heard in a debate. No, it’s likely a believer in Jesus entered your life and provided spiritual illumination beyond this world.
Jesus predicted as much. God is described as light (1 John 1:5). Jesus, the light of the world, shone with this light (John 1:5). And, like a flame that is passed from candlewick to candlewick, He said His people would radiate this light too. “You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden” (Matthew 5:14), He told His followers.
This is the second of two great callings Jesus gives us. We’re to be salt in the world—preserving it from decay and enhancing whatever is true and good within it (v.13)—and we’re to be the world’s light. As salt, we influence society. As light, we influence hearts.
Light attracts. Light purifies. Light reveals. When God’s light shines into our hearts, it reveals our darkness (6:23), purifies us from sin (1 John 1:7), and makes us beacons to others, drawing them to the Light that now glows within us.
And how do we reveal this Light to others? “Let your good deeds shine out for all to see,” Jesus directs us, “so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father” (Matthew 5:16). Acts of compassion, kindness, patience, and love reveal the character of the One now shining within us (Galatians 5:22). This is what it means to glorify God. When our lives mirror God’s life we glorify—reveal— Him. And He is a most glorious God. That’s why people praise Him when they see our good works.
So go, reveal Him. In word and deed, be the light of your corner of the world.
Read Ephesians 5:8 to discover more about living a light-filled life.
How have you seen God shine through others? What light from God might others glimpse in you today?
- Unbreakable - How can you use your suffering to point others to God?...read more
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more