Fireworks and MercyHow does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?
Top Christian Music Videos
Promote the kind of living that reflects wholesome teaching (2:1).
The small island of Crete was a tough place. Knee-deep in glamour and hedonism, it was where the rich went to play. First-century tourism advertisements might have echoed the motto from modern-day Sin City (Las Vegas, Nevada): “What happens in Crete . . . stays in Crete.” The apostle Paul tells us that even one of their own, a Cretan, summarized that the populace was full of “liars, cruel animals, and lazy gluttons” (Titus 1:12).
Into this glitzy, self-absorbed culture, Paul sent a young leader named Titus. Titus’ assignment was to step into a selfish society, where the powerful were convinced they possessed all they needed, and tell them their life was in shambles—that they desperately needed help. The Cretans were not as powerful or successful as they supposed. They hadn’t even begun to live.
“My aim is to raise hopes by pointing the way to life without end,” Paul said. “This is the life God promised long ago—and He doesn’t break promises!” (vv.1-2 The Message). God sent Paul to announce life. And then Paul gave Titus the same mission: Announce life! God had chosen Crete—and other places like Jerusalem and Ephesus and Galatia—simply because it was time. The Son had died. The Son had risen. Life was ready to break through.
And this life was (as true life always is) immersed in day-to-day realities. This new way of living would form a visible community with leaders responsible for the life they would share (vv.5-7). Further, their new life would reflect truth, stand against lies, and pursue integrity (vv.10-11).
When Titus announced God’s life to the Cretans, he wasn’t only calling them to a future with God, but to life with God in that very moment. Life with God is always now.
Read further into Titus 2:1. Mark down the definite ways that our new life takes shape. Also note the numerous kinds of people this new life transforms.
How do you need to be transformed by your new life in Jesus? Where (or to whom) do you need to announce new life?
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more