Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
Please Excuse Me
You must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you (v.7).
At the library, I noticed an elderly woman browsing
in the large-print book section. She shuffled down
the aisles with a walker, stopping frequently to
drop a book into her bulging tote bag. Despite less-than perfect
eyesight, limited mobility, and failing strength,
she was hauling home a hoard of books! Any one of her
limitations would have been an ample excuse for staying
Jeremiah had what sounded like a solid excuse when
God called him to be a prophet. He tried to back out
by saying, “I’m too young!” (Jeremiah 1:6). But God
responded, “Don’t say ‘I’m too young,’ for you must go
wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you” (v.7).
Like Jeremiah, some of us try to excuse ourselves from
Christian service because of our relative inexperience.
God cares more about our obedience, however, than
our experience level.
He anticipated Jeremiah’s next possible excuse by
advising, “Don’t be afraid of the people, for I will be
with you and will protect you” (v.8). God’s presence and
protection are more significant than the people problems
we may encounter in His service. Paul expressed it like
this: “If God is for us, who can ever be against us?”
While it’s true that our excuses are unacceptable with
our heavenly Father, He doesn’t just demand obedience,
promise protection, and leave it at that. In Jeremiah’s case, the Lord reached
out and touched his mouth, saying “Look, I have put My words in your mouth!”
(Jeremiah 1:9). Later, God told Jeremiah, “Today I have made you strong” (v.18).
When we surrender our hesitant hearts, God often gives us a glimpse of His
enabling power. His supernatural support helps us to step forward and serve
Him . . . without excuses!
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Do you view Christian service as a duty or a privilege? What’s holding
you back from serving God?
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more