Genuine LoveHow have you experienced the reality of God’s love?
Top Music Videos
Please Excuse Me
You must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you (v.7).
At the library, I noticed an elderly woman browsing
in the large-print book section. She shuffled down
the aisles with a walker, stopping frequently to
drop a book into her bulging tote bag. Despite less-than perfect
eyesight, limited mobility, and failing strength,
she was hauling home a hoard of books! Any one of her
limitations would have been an ample excuse for staying
Jeremiah had what sounded like a solid excuse when
God called him to be a prophet. He tried to back out
by saying, “I’m too young!” (Jeremiah 1:6). But God
responded, “Don’t say ‘I’m too young,’ for you must go
wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you” (v.7).
Like Jeremiah, some of us try to excuse ourselves from
Christian service because of our relative inexperience.
God cares more about our obedience, however, than
our experience level.
He anticipated Jeremiah’s next possible excuse by
advising, “Don’t be afraid of the people, for I will be
with you and will protect you” (v.8). God’s presence and
protection are more significant than the people problems
we may encounter in His service. Paul expressed it like
this: “If God is for us, who can ever be against us?”
While it’s true that our excuses are unacceptable with
our heavenly Father, He doesn’t just demand obedience,
promise protection, and leave it at that. In Jeremiah’s case, the Lord reached
out and touched his mouth, saying “Look, I have put My words in your mouth!”
(Jeremiah 1:9). Later, God told Jeremiah, “Today I have made you strong” (v.18).
When we surrender our hesitant hearts, God often gives us a glimpse of His
enabling power. His supernatural support helps us to step forward and serve
Him . . . without excuses!
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Do you view Christian service as a duty or a privilege? What’s holding
you back from serving God?
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more
- Life and Loss - Where are you going with your pain?...read more