Next StepsHave you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?
Top Christian Music Videos
”Now come and have some breakfast!” Jesus said (v.12).
The disciples went fishing because they were hungry and, frankly, there wasn’t much else to do (John 21:3). Their lives had taken a dramatic turn for the third time in about as many weeks.
Jesus’ death had left them in despair, fearful, and filled with guilt. Despair, because their hopes had been ripped away. Fear, because with their leader gone, the disciples figured they would be next. Guilt, because they— especially Peter—had deserted Jesus when He needed them most. And so they huddled in secret, with the door locked. Their meeting was interrupted by women who announced that Jesus was alive, and soon He appeared to them.
The disciples’ fear and despair turned to jubilation. Their Lord was alive! But something had changed. The resurrected Jesus still hung out with them, but He wasn’t always with them. Jesus seemed to be preparing them for some new phase. And there was still Peter’s nagging guilt, which Jesus addressed during the disciples’ fishing trip.
Notice that Jesus couched his confrontation with hospitality. He didn’t call Peter into a boardroom for a reprimand but compassionately came to Peter’s home surf—the Sea of Galilee (vv.1-2). How differently would this conversation have gone in a sterile office or busy street! But here, on shore and with a full stomach, Peter was able to process the painful words of Jesus. “Simon, son of John, do you love me? . . . Then feed my sheep” (v.17).
In our zeal to be a devoted Mary rather than a harried Martha (Luke 10:38), we may neglect the disarming gift of hospitality. Do you need to have a serious chat with someone? Remember that Jesus’ most poignant encounter began with breakfast on the beach.
Read Genesis 18:1 to discover the importance of hospitality in spiritually significant moments.
What can you do to create a welcoming environment for the person you are mentoring or need to confront? Why is it important to be hospitable even as we speak the truth in love to others?
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more