Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
”Now come and have some breakfast!” Jesus said (v.12).
The disciples went fishing because they were hungry and, frankly, there wasn’t much else to do (John 21:3). Their lives had taken a dramatic turn for the third time in about as many weeks.
Jesus’ death had left them in despair, fearful, and filled with guilt. Despair, because their hopes had been ripped away. Fear, because with their leader gone, the disciples figured they would be next. Guilt, because they— especially Peter—had deserted Jesus when He needed them most. And so they huddled in secret, with the door locked. Their meeting was interrupted by women who announced that Jesus was alive, and soon He appeared to them.
The disciples’ fear and despair turned to jubilation. Their Lord was alive! But something had changed. The resurrected Jesus still hung out with them, but He wasn’t always with them. Jesus seemed to be preparing them for some new phase. And there was still Peter’s nagging guilt, which Jesus addressed during the disciples’ fishing trip.
Notice that Jesus couched his confrontation with hospitality. He didn’t call Peter into a boardroom for a reprimand but compassionately came to Peter’s home surf—the Sea of Galilee (vv.1-2). How differently would this conversation have gone in a sterile office or busy street! But here, on shore and with a full stomach, Peter was able to process the painful words of Jesus. “Simon, son of John, do you love me? . . . Then feed my sheep” (v.17).
In our zeal to be a devoted Mary rather than a harried Martha (Luke 10:38), we may neglect the disarming gift of hospitality. Do you need to have a serious chat with someone? Remember that Jesus’ most poignant encounter began with breakfast on the beach.
Read Genesis 18:1 to discover the importance of hospitality in spiritually significant moments.
What can you do to create a welcoming environment for the person you are mentoring or need to confront? Why is it important to be hospitable even as we speak the truth in love to others?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more