Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
No Sex Week
Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow (v.7).
For several years, Yale University—an elite institution in the US—allowed students to engage in an annual 7-day sexual frenzy known as Sex Week at Yale. The week included “prominently featured titillating displays, [porn] film stars, and commercial sponsors of such material.” But a campus group called Undergraduates for a Better Yale College rose up and challenged Sex Week, declaring that it was part of an attitude that “both trivializes sex and is obsessed with it.” By voicing their concerns on a special website, in articles featured in the campus newspaper, and directly to Yale leaders, they got Sex Week canned in 2011.
Sadly, King David engaged in his own “Sex Week.” In 2 Samuel 2:1, we find him getting sexually aroused as he “looked” at a naked woman who was another man’s wife (v.2). Then, in a rapid two-step misstep, he inquired about who Bathsheba was (v.3) and had her brought to his royal chambers to have sex with her (v.4). Later, trying to cover up his sin, he arranged for the death of Uriah (Bathsheba’s husband).
When we choose to engage in sex outside of marriage, there is also death—of purity and peace. In Psalms 51:1, we find David agonizing over his sexual sin. In deep shame, he bows before God, seeking His mercy, forgiveness, and cleansing (vv.1,2,7). The king’s illicit encounter of pleasure had led to a bitter “stain” that tormented him and his spirit (vv.1,9-10).
David knew that only God could “purify” him of his sins and “create in [him] a clean heart” (vv.7,10). Yes, by God’s grace, we can be cleansed. But how much better it is to avoid the pain, shame, and stain of sexual sin by choosing purity in the first place. It’s something that—unlike Sex Week—honors God and shows true love and respect for others.
Read Isaiah 1:16 to see what it tells us to do if we’re struggling with sexual sin (and all sin).
What things have you been dabbling in that could cause you to move toward engaging in sex outside of marriage? Why does God command you to stay pure and holy?
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more