Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
No Sex Week
Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow (v.7).
For several years, Yale University—an elite institution in the US—allowed students to engage in an annual 7-day sexual frenzy known as Sex Week at Yale. The week included “prominently featured titillating displays, [porn] film stars, and commercial sponsors of such material.” But a campus group called Undergraduates for a Better Yale College rose up and challenged Sex Week, declaring that it was part of an attitude that “both trivializes sex and is obsessed with it.” By voicing their concerns on a special website, in articles featured in the campus newspaper, and directly to Yale leaders, they got Sex Week canned in 2011.
Sadly, King David engaged in his own “Sex Week.” In 2 Samuel 2:1, we find him getting sexually aroused as he “looked” at a naked woman who was another man’s wife (v.2). Then, in a rapid two-step misstep, he inquired about who Bathsheba was (v.3) and had her brought to his royal chambers to have sex with her (v.4). Later, trying to cover up his sin, he arranged for the death of Uriah (Bathsheba’s husband).
When we choose to engage in sex outside of marriage, there is also death—of purity and peace. In Psalms 51:1, we find David agonizing over his sexual sin. In deep shame, he bows before God, seeking His mercy, forgiveness, and cleansing (vv.1,2,7). The king’s illicit encounter of pleasure had led to a bitter “stain” that tormented him and his spirit (vv.1,9-10).
David knew that only God could “purify” him of his sins and “create in [him] a clean heart” (vv.7,10). Yes, by God’s grace, we can be cleansed. But how much better it is to avoid the pain, shame, and stain of sexual sin by choosing purity in the first place. It’s something that—unlike Sex Week—honors God and shows true love and respect for others.
Read Isaiah 1:16 to see what it tells us to do if we’re struggling with sexual sin (and all sin).
What things have you been dabbling in that could cause you to move toward engaging in sex outside of marriage? Why does God command you to stay pure and holy?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more