Representing JesusIn what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?
Top Music Videos
Be generous (v.8).
Last year at Christmas, anonymous donors in several US cities surprised shoppers at a department store chain with generosity. In Omaha, Nebraska, manager Ted Straub recounted how many customers went to pick up their layaway items at the store, only to discover that a stranger had already paid for them. In Indianapolis, assistant manager Edna Deppe recalled how a father—in dirty clothes with three small kids in tow—went to the layaway desk to make a payment, hoping he could finish by Christmas. He was shocked to learn, however, that his entire purchase had been paid in full. Also, the same woman who covered the cost of his purchase had handed out $50 bills on her way out of the store—moments after she had paid the bill for a woman who had been preparing to pay for her purchases at checkout.
We all love stories of radical generosity. When we open the Bible, we discover that it’s full of these kinds of stories. Our God is generous to the core, and so God’s book and God’s people are immersed in generosity.
When God gave instructions for the way Israel was to order her life, generosity was front and center. God made His intentions clear: “There should be no poor among you” (Deuteronomy 15:4). He intended to “greatly bless” His people, and He wanted this blessing to be shared with all (vv.4,6).
Knowing the way humans operate and that inequalities were sure to take hold, however, God gave Israel detailed principles to encourage her people toward generosity. Once every 7 years, they were to “cancel the debts of everyone” (v.1). Instead of being tight-fisted, they were to lend the impoverished whatever they needed (v.8). In case this was still unclear, God said plainly, “Give generously to the poor” (v.10).
Whenever God’s people live God’s way, generosity abounds.
Read Isaiah 32:7. What does generosity require? Can it be simply on a whim? What things tempt you to not “stand firm in [your] generosity”? (v.8).
How have you received generosity from God, and from God through others? To whom may God be asking you to be generous? What will you do?
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more