Generous HeartsHave you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?
Top Christian Music Videos
Food That Satisfies
All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the soul is not satisfied (v.7 NKJV).
Why do you work? This question was part of a lifestyle survey used to determine the happiness of workers. If you think my answer reflected a grandiose, altruistic perspective on how my labor improves the economic betterment of society, you’ll be sorely disappointed. The answer I gave was that I work for survival—so that I can have food on my family’s table. Whether you’re a CEO or a student working part-time, you essentially work for your next meal. It’s raw, but real. Hunger comes in repeated waves. It doesn’t matter how well you ate today, you’ll be hungry again tomorrow. It’s an empty stomach that drives us on in our labors (Proverbs 16:26).
The wisest man on earth spoke candidly of another reality: “All people spend their lives scratching for food, but they never seem to have enough” (Ecclesiastes 6:7). Or as the NKJV puts it, “All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the soul is not satisfied.”
Solomon isn’t simply talking about food, but about the material things that we work so hard for because we believe they’ll bring us happiness and contentment. Work and material things can give us enjoyment (Ecclesiastes 3:22). For we’re to “enjoy what [we] have rather than desiring what [we] don’t have” (6:9). But material things will never satisfy the hunger of our soul.
If the food we work so hard for doesn’t satisfy, how then can we find satisfaction? Perhaps we need to consider seriously what Jesus said about the food that gave Him purpose and satisfaction. “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to finish His work” (John 4:34 NIV). Doing God’s will is the food that satisfies. Doing God’s work is the work that gratifies.
How would you answer Solomon’s question: “What do people get in this life for all their hard work and anxiety?” (Ecclesiastes 2:22).
Besides putting food on the table, what motivates you to work? Does the way we work bring glory to God? Why or why not?
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more