Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Food That Satisfies
All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the soul is not satisfied (v.7 NKJV).
Why do you work? This question was part of a lifestyle survey used to determine the happiness of workers. If you think my answer reflected a grandiose, altruistic perspective on how my labor improves the economic betterment of society, you’ll be sorely disappointed. The answer I gave was that I work for survival—so that I can have food on my family’s table. Whether you’re a CEO or a student working part-time, you essentially work for your next meal. It’s raw, but real. Hunger comes in repeated waves. It doesn’t matter how well you ate today, you’ll be hungry again tomorrow. It’s an empty stomach that drives us on in our labors (Proverbs 16:26).
The wisest man on earth spoke candidly of another reality: “All people spend their lives scratching for food, but they never seem to have enough” (Ecclesiastes 6:7). Or as the NKJV puts it, “All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the soul is not satisfied.”
Solomon isn’t simply talking about food, but about the material things that we work so hard for because we believe they’ll bring us happiness and contentment. Work and material things can give us enjoyment (Ecclesiastes 3:22). For we’re to “enjoy what [we] have rather than desiring what [we] don’t have” (6:9). But material things will never satisfy the hunger of our soul.
If the food we work so hard for doesn’t satisfy, how then can we find satisfaction? Perhaps we need to consider seriously what Jesus said about the food that gave Him purpose and satisfaction. “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to finish His work” (John 4:34 NIV). Doing God’s will is the food that satisfies. Doing God’s work is the work that gratifies.
How would you answer Solomon’s question: “What do people get in this life for all their hard work and anxiety?” (Ecclesiastes 2:22).
Besides putting food on the table, what motivates you to work? Does the way we work bring glory to God? Why or why not?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more