Why Pray?What do you need to ask God for today?
Top Christian Music Videos
Food That Satisfies
All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the soul is not satisfied (v.7 NKJV).
Why do you work? This question was part of a lifestyle survey used to determine the happiness of workers. If you think my answer reflected a grandiose, altruistic perspective on how my labor improves the economic betterment of society, you’ll be sorely disappointed. The answer I gave was that I work for survival—so that I can have food on my family’s table. Whether you’re a CEO or a student working part-time, you essentially work for your next meal. It’s raw, but real. Hunger comes in repeated waves. It doesn’t matter how well you ate today, you’ll be hungry again tomorrow. It’s an empty stomach that drives us on in our labors (Proverbs 16:26).
The wisest man on earth spoke candidly of another reality: “All people spend their lives scratching for food, but they never seem to have enough” (Ecclesiastes 6:7). Or as the NKJV puts it, “All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the soul is not satisfied.”
Solomon isn’t simply talking about food, but about the material things that we work so hard for because we believe they’ll bring us happiness and contentment. Work and material things can give us enjoyment (Ecclesiastes 3:22). For we’re to “enjoy what [we] have rather than desiring what [we] don’t have” (6:9). But material things will never satisfy the hunger of our soul.
If the food we work so hard for doesn’t satisfy, how then can we find satisfaction? Perhaps we need to consider seriously what Jesus said about the food that gave Him purpose and satisfaction. “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to finish His work” (John 4:34 NIV). Doing God’s will is the food that satisfies. Doing God’s work is the work that gratifies.
How would you answer Solomon’s question: “What do people get in this life for all their hard work and anxiety?” (Ecclesiastes 2:22).
Besides putting food on the table, what motivates you to work? Does the way we work bring glory to God? Why or why not?
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more
- What Is God? - Write down three things the Bible tells you about God....read more