Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
[Barnabas] encouraged the believers to stay true to the Lord (v.23).
If you don’t know how to “threethrow,” don’t worry—it’s easy. You hold up your hand and pin down your pinky finger with your thumb. The three remaining fingers represent the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. You can use this gesture to connect with other Christians “when verbal fellowship can’t occur,” says Mark Mitchum, who originated threethrowing. He hopes that this hand signal will “connect [Christians] for a few seconds and allow fellowship and encouragement [to occur].”
The early Christians, like us today, needed to connect in order to support each other. One group of believers in Antioch had the benefit of Barnabas’ encouragement. These Christians, who were religious refugees (Acts 8:1), had shared the gospel with the local Gentiles. By God’s power, many Gentiles accepted Christ. When their fellow believers back in Jerusalem heard about this, they sent Barnabas (11:22) to uplift the Antioch congregation. Barnabas’ presence carried an unspoken message: “We support you. You’re not in this alone.”
When Barnabas arrived, “he encouraged the believers to stay true to the Lord” (v.23). For the more mature believers who had seen many receive Jesus under their ministry, his message may have helped guard against vices that can creep in after mountaintop experiences— pride, laziness, and spiritual independence. For the spiritual youngsters in the group, his message helped them to avoid falling away from their newfound faith.
Barnabas was “a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and strong in faith” (v.24). Like him, we can strengthen other believers as we encourage them with our words and walk. If you can claim, “I am not ashamed of this good news about Christ” (Romans 1:16), consider connecting with other believers—near or far. Your brothers and sisters might need to hear you say: Hang in there; fight the good fight; stay committed to Christ.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Who in your world needs your encouragement today? How might your lifestyle and devotion to Jesus affect the people around you?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more