Myth No MoreWhy must God judge His enemies and make things right?
Top Music Videos
[Barnabas] encouraged the believers to stay true to the Lord (v.23).
If you don’t know how to “threethrow,” don’t worry—it’s easy. You hold up your hand and pin down your pinky finger with your thumb. The three remaining fingers represent the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. You can use this gesture to connect with other Christians “when verbal fellowship can’t occur,” says Mark Mitchum, who originated threethrowing. He hopes that this hand signal will “connect [Christians] for a few seconds and allow fellowship and encouragement [to occur].”
The early Christians, like us today, needed to connect in order to support each other. One group of believers in Antioch had the benefit of Barnabas’ encouragement. These Christians, who were religious refugees (Acts 8:1), had shared the gospel with the local Gentiles. By God’s power, many Gentiles accepted Christ. When their fellow believers back in Jerusalem heard about this, they sent Barnabas (11:22) to uplift the Antioch congregation. Barnabas’ presence carried an unspoken message: “We support you. You’re not in this alone.”
When Barnabas arrived, “he encouraged the believers to stay true to the Lord” (v.23). For the more mature believers who had seen many receive Jesus under their ministry, his message may have helped guard against vices that can creep in after mountaintop experiences— pride, laziness, and spiritual independence. For the spiritual youngsters in the group, his message helped them to avoid falling away from their newfound faith.
Barnabas was “a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and strong in faith” (v.24). Like him, we can strengthen other believers as we encourage them with our words and walk. If you can claim, “I am not ashamed of this good news about Christ” (Romans 1:16), consider connecting with other believers—near or far. Your brothers and sisters might need to hear you say: Hang in there; fight the good fight; stay committed to Christ.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Who in your world needs your encouragement today? How might your lifestyle and devotion to Jesus affect the people around you?
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more