Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2).
Normally I dread having dental work done. But a recent trip to the dentist to repair a fractured tooth may have permanently changed my attitude. During the appointment, my dentist administered nitrous oxide—commonly known as “laughing gas.” He said it would help relax me. He wasn’t kidding. With just a few deep whiffs, I was off to “la la land,” still conscious but without a care in the world.
I remember thinking, Wow! And it’s legal!
My dentist, who’s a great dude when he’s not poking around inside my mouth, jokingly said that there would be fewer wars in this world if there was a little bit more nitrous oxide in the air. He also joked that little would get done, but nobody would care.
I have to admit, to “not care” sounds appealing. But, after serious thought, it’s not as great as it sounds. Not only would little get done, but to “not care” would severely limit us from connecting with each other . . . and God.
More than anything else, God designed us for connection, the kind of union and closeness that the Trinity has always enjoyed and intends for us to enjoy as well (John 17:20). But if we didn’t care, we would lose touch with our need for close relationships. I counsel people every day who are trying not to care in all sorts of ways. They’re short-sighted in their attempts at protecting themselves from hurt. Sadly, they end up causing more hurt in the long run and cutting themselves off from a source of real comfort and healing.
When we’re hurting, the most important thing we need is connection with others. As we learn to let them come close enough to see our pain and offer comfort, they can then help carry our burdens (Galatians 6:2).
Read John 13:34 to see the powerful effect of our love and care for other believers in Jesus.
How can you start connecting more with others and with God? What’s holding you back?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more