Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2).
Normally I dread having dental work done. But a recent trip to the dentist to repair a fractured tooth may have permanently changed my attitude. During the appointment, my dentist administered nitrous oxide—commonly known as “laughing gas.” He said it would help relax me. He wasn’t kidding. With just a few deep whiffs, I was off to “la la land,” still conscious but without a care in the world.
I remember thinking, Wow! And it’s legal!
My dentist, who’s a great dude when he’s not poking around inside my mouth, jokingly said that there would be fewer wars in this world if there was a little bit more nitrous oxide in the air. He also joked that little would get done, but nobody would care.
I have to admit, to “not care” sounds appealing. But, after serious thought, it’s not as great as it sounds. Not only would little get done, but to “not care” would severely limit us from connecting with each other . . . and God.
More than anything else, God designed us for connection, the kind of union and closeness that the Trinity has always enjoyed and intends for us to enjoy as well (John 17:20). But if we didn’t care, we would lose touch with our need for close relationships. I counsel people every day who are trying not to care in all sorts of ways. They’re short-sighted in their attempts at protecting themselves from hurt. Sadly, they end up causing more hurt in the long run and cutting themselves off from a source of real comfort and healing.
When we’re hurting, the most important thing we need is connection with others. As we learn to let them come close enough to see our pain and offer comfort, they can then help carry our burdens (Galatians 6:2).
Read John 13:34 to see the powerful effect of our love and care for other believers in Jesus.
How can you start connecting more with others and with God? What’s holding you back?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more