Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
Each of you will control his own body and live in holiness and honor (v.4).
When I stopped by a nearby restaurant to pick up some food, a guy and a girl standing in the parking lot caught my attention. Their arms linked together, the guy craftily reached to place his hand between her legs. My heart sank, and I began to pray that they know the beauty of glorifying God with their bodies (1 Thessalonians 4:3).
Because the world we live in often equates sex with approval, it’s little wonder that people end up with some very mixed-up ideas about sexual desire and its purpose. Consider the sphere of advertising. Owned by Unilever, Dove’s campaign for “real beauty” has resonated in the hearts of women in different parts of the world. Ironically, Axe, another one of Unilever’s trademark products, is known for its advertisements that make women out to be little more than sexual animals, driven by their inner lust. While sexual desire is a God-given gift, Satan has taken something good and twisted it into a selfish pursuit. True love, however, is selfless and honorable. Paul writes, “Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other” (Romans 12:9).
Married or single, even those who have placed their hope in Jesus will experience sexual temptation. And living in purity doesn’t simply mean keeping one’s clothes on during a date. It begins with the heart (Proverbs 4:23) and has much to say about a healthy relationship with God (1 Thessalonians 1:1), ourselves (4:4), and others (1 Timothy 1:2).
When we allow God’s greatest commandments—to love God with everything and to love others as we love ourselves—to seep into the core of our being, the strength to remain sexually pure becomes greater.
Read Hosea 2:13 and consider how our view of God shapes our view of His commandments. What’s the difference between a husband and a master? (v.16).
When have you faced sexual temptation recently? What lies has the enemy used to draw you into compromise?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more