Stinging WordsHow have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?
Top Music Videos
On His robe at His thigh was written this title: King of all kings and
Lord of all lords (v.16).
The King’s Speech depicts the surprising rise to
power of Prince Albert, who became King George
VI of England when his brother Edward abdicated
the throne to marry an American divorcée. Albert didn’t
want to be king, in part because his severe stuttering
often embarrassed him when he spoke to groups. And
this would prove important, for Albert had the misfortune
of being king during Hitler’s bombing of London. If ever
England needed strong leadership, it was then.
Eventually, Albert overcame his speech impediment
and rallied his people to withstand Germany’s blitzkrieg.
Although Albert was ultimately successful, his tenuous
reign illustrates the burden of leadership. Whoever’s in
charge is responsible.
We applaud Albert for his service to Great Britain. It’s
good to rise to the occasion and provide leadership when
needed, but leadership can sometimes be an unnecessary
burden that we take on ourselves. Even if you’re called to
lead your group or team, you can always enjoy the true
freedom of being a follower of Jesus. It’s a relief to know
that He is Lord of your life (Revelation 19:3). And if He’s Lord,
then you don’t have to be (v.5).
The only burden worse than being lord of your life is
the frustration of pretending to be in charge. Have you
ever had a job that demanded accountability but gave
you no real authority? You were held responsible for
sales or performance that you were powerless to change. In time you quit.
So why don’t we quit pretending that we are lord? Why would we even want
that responsibility? Let’s submit to Jesus, who possesses “all authority in heaven
and on earth” (Matthew 28:18; Revelation 19:15). Do what He says, and if
for some reason it doesn’t work out the way you expected, you can trust where
Read Psalms 119:97 to learn the benefits of submitting to God as Lord
of your life.
What are you afraid to entrust to Jesus for fear that it won’t turn out as
you’d like? How are you shouldering more responsibility for your life
than you should?
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more