Red HousesWhat has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?
Top Music Videos
The Greatest Gift
2 Corinthians 5:14-21 All of this is a gift from God, who brought us back to Himself through Christ (v.18).
My 9-year-old Ugandan son and I often list the things he’s done the past few years—activities that he could not have done if he were still orphaned and living in extreme poverty. In his village, he never would have received a formal education, eaten sushi, gone surfing, read books, flown in an airplane, played tennis, or even had running water and electricity in his home.
Wasswa’s life is radically different now that he’s my son. His new life with me, though, can’t compare with what it means to experience new life in Christ. As believers in Jesus, we’re controlled by His love that prompts us to cast self aside and live for God and others. “Those who receive His new life will no longer live for themselves. Instead, they will live for Christ, who died and was raised for them” (2 Corinthians 5:15).
When we belong to Christ:
• We don’t just have different circumstances; we are new people. The old life is gone; a new life has begun (vv.14,17).
• We stop evaluating others from a human point of view (v.16).
• We are reconciled in Christ, and He no longer counts our sins against us (vv.18-19).
• We are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making His appeal through us (v.20).
• We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!” (v.20).
• We are made right with God through Christ, who never sinned (v.21).
As much as we shower our children with love, guidance, and material things, we could never be their all-in-all. Only God can be that—Christ alone. “All glory to Him who alone is God, our Savior through Jesus Christ our Lord. All glory, majesty, power, and authority are His before all time (Jude 1:25).
Read James 1:17 and see what God the Father provides for us.
How do gifts from family and friends compare to the gift God gave us when He “brought us back to Himself through Christ?” Write a “Thank You” note to Jesus for the gifts He’s given you.
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more