Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Greatest Gift
2 Corinthians 5:14-21 All of this is a gift from God, who brought us back to Himself through Christ (v.18).
My 9-year-old Ugandan son and I often list the things he’s done the past few years—activities that he could not have done if he were still orphaned and living in extreme poverty. In his village, he never would have received a formal education, eaten sushi, gone surfing, read books, flown in an airplane, played tennis, or even had running water and electricity in his home.
Wasswa’s life is radically different now that he’s my son. His new life with me, though, can’t compare with what it means to experience new life in Christ. As believers in Jesus, we’re controlled by His love that prompts us to cast self aside and live for God and others. “Those who receive His new life will no longer live for themselves. Instead, they will live for Christ, who died and was raised for them” (2 Corinthians 5:15).
When we belong to Christ:
• We don’t just have different circumstances; we are new people. The old life is gone; a new life has begun (vv.14,17).
• We stop evaluating others from a human point of view (v.16).
• We are reconciled in Christ, and He no longer counts our sins against us (vv.18-19).
• We are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making His appeal through us (v.20).
• We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!” (v.20).
• We are made right with God through Christ, who never sinned (v.21).
As much as we shower our children with love, guidance, and material things, we could never be their all-in-all. Only God can be that—Christ alone. “All glory to Him who alone is God, our Savior through Jesus Christ our Lord. All glory, majesty, power, and authority are His before all time (Jude 1:25).
Read James 1:17 and see what God the Father provides for us.
How do gifts from family and friends compare to the gift God gave us when He “brought us back to Himself through Christ?” Write a “Thank You” note to Jesus for the gifts He’s given you.
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more