What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
A good tree produces good fruit, and a bad
tree produces bad fruit (v.17).
Despite the recent economic meltdown, most people would agree that free markets have improved
the lives of billions of people. Many people today are living longer and wealthier than anyone ever has, in
large part because free markets incentivize us to create products that other people want to buy. Entrepreneurs
who knew that they would profit from their efforts invented vaccines, computers, microwaves, and indoor
However, free markets are not an unqualified good. They’re simply the most efficient way to provide
consumers what they want. What markets can’t do is tell us what we should want. If consumers want relief from
the heat of summer, markets will connect them with the sellers of air conditioners. If consumers want to get rich
quick through games of chance, markets will supply them with casinos.
In short, markets amplify whatever we are. If you want to know who you are, look at what you buy—it’s yourself
revealed. What is on your iPod, credit card statement, or television schedule? The fruit you find there indicates
what kind of tree you are (Matthew 7:17-18,20).
Markets also amplify by enlarging our effect on others. A medieval materialist would horde his gold, and that
would be the end of it. But now, through the amplifying power of markets, a materialist who buys a behemoth
home supports an entire industry that builds McMansions, and an immoral person who clicks on pornography encourages producers to make more of it.
Every purchase is a vote for the product we buy. If we choose coarse, banal, or risqué entertainment, our culture will flood the market with more. No man is an island. That has never been truer than now. And God will some day judge the choices we make today (v.19; Hebrews 6:8). —Mike Wittmer
How might a “buycott” be better than a boycott?
What would happen if we banded together to
publicly support the good stuff rather than drawing
attention to the offensive?
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more