The First Day—AgainHow does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?
Top Music Videos
Trust Him, and He will help you (v.5).
Several years ago, I had the privilege of interviewing
Tony Dungy’s wife, Lauren, for Sports Spectrum
Magazine. At the time, Tony was the head coach
of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and—based on his faith,
integrity, and contributions on and off the field—was
highly esteemed by his players, community, and the
National Football League (NFL).
Yet, though deeply blessed, Lauren said she and Tony
were not exempt from John 16:33, which teaches that
“here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows.”
“When our family, friends, and the community see that
we face difficulties like anyone else,” Lauren said, “then
we can communicate how our personal relationship with
Jesus Christ sustains us, how God’s Word encourages us
in trying times.”
When we spoke, little did Lauren know of the magnitude
of the trials that would soon come their way. First, though
the Bucs went 54-42 and made the playoffs four times
under Dungy, he was fired after just 6 seasons.
Not surprisingly, Tony and Lauren responded to the
termination graciously. They invited all the former Bucs
staff who had lost their jobs to come to their home, and
they encouraged them to “be still in the presence of the
Lord, and wait patiently for Him to act” (Psalms 37:7).
The second trial to face the Dungy family was a tragedy
of far greater proportions. Just days after leading his new
team, the Indianapolis Colts, to an 11-0 regular-season record, Tony and Lauren
received news that their oldest son, James, age 17, had committed suicide.
Though devastated, Tony and Lauren continued to proclaim God’s love and
goodness—beautifully testifying yet again that God does indeed sustain us
during life’s most difficult times. “Trust Him, and He will help you” (v.5).
How does faith, as demonstrated by Tony and Lauren Dungy, bring
glory to God according to 1 Peter 1:6?
How have you experienced strength of faith in Jesus that
sustained you in life’s darkest hours? What is keeping you from truly
trusting in Him?
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more