Tender HeartsHow can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
What Do You Worship?
Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship Him as God or even give
Him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was
like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused (v.21).
Whether it’s a supernatural being . . . science,
money, wisdom, information, ritual, power or
love,” says social commentator Hugh Mackay,
“most of us assign the status of god to something in our
lives.” The truth is: Modern, secular people still worship
something even if they’ve abandoned belief in God.
The first chapter of Romans describes this human
religious impulse powerfully. Its message is threefold:
1. There is a God, and He has revealed Himself. “For
ever since the world was created, people have seen the
earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can
clearly see His invisible qualities—His eternal power and
divine nature” (v.20).
2. People are designed to worship. When we refuse to
worship God (v.21), we don’t stop worshiping. Instead, we
put other “gods” in His place (v.25). In ancient times, these
gods were embodied in carvings of people, birds, and
animals (v.23). Today’s “gods,” Hugh Mackay noted, can
include anything from money and power to love.
3. Worshiping any other god will destroy us. The
irony is, while we thought we were “wise” in rejecting
the true God, we actually became “confused” (vv.21-
22). While we thought other gods would bring us life,
they actually brought us death—resulting in distorted
sexuality (vv.26-27), greed, hate, envy, murder,
quarreling, deception, and pride (vv.28-32). Worshiping the true God makes us
fully human (Genesis 1:27). Worshiping false gods makes us
So, what do you worship? Be assured that worshiping anything other than
the true God Himself will destroy you. Who will rescue us from our destructive
idols? Jesus, who entered our darkness and died for us (Romans 4:25). Through
His resurrection we can be raised to new life now and forever! (Romans 8:10).
Read Romans 12:1 and note how worshiping the true God
reverses the inhuman, sinful behaviors outlined in 1:24-31.
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more