Rejoicing in Deep NeedWhat happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?
Top Christian Music Videos
What Do You Worship?
Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship Him as God or even give
Him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was
like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused (v.21).
Whether it’s a supernatural being . . . science,
money, wisdom, information, ritual, power or
love,” says social commentator Hugh Mackay,
“most of us assign the status of god to something in our
lives.” The truth is: Modern, secular people still worship
something even if they’ve abandoned belief in God.
The first chapter of Romans describes this human
religious impulse powerfully. Its message is threefold:
1. There is a God, and He has revealed Himself. “For
ever since the world was created, people have seen the
earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can
clearly see His invisible qualities—His eternal power and
divine nature” (v.20).
2. People are designed to worship. When we refuse to
worship God (v.21), we don’t stop worshiping. Instead, we
put other “gods” in His place (v.25). In ancient times, these
gods were embodied in carvings of people, birds, and
animals (v.23). Today’s “gods,” Hugh Mackay noted, can
include anything from money and power to love.
3. Worshiping any other god will destroy us. The
irony is, while we thought we were “wise” in rejecting
the true God, we actually became “confused” (vv.21-
22). While we thought other gods would bring us life,
they actually brought us death—resulting in distorted
sexuality (vv.26-27), greed, hate, envy, murder,
quarreling, deception, and pride (vv.28-32). Worshiping the true God makes us
fully human (Genesis 1:27). Worshiping false gods makes us
So, what do you worship? Be assured that worshiping anything other than
the true God Himself will destroy you. Who will rescue us from our destructive
idols? Jesus, who entered our darkness and died for us (Romans 4:25). Through
His resurrection we can be raised to new life now and forever! (Romans 8:10).
Read Romans 12:1 and note how worshiping the true God
reverses the inhuman, sinful behaviors outlined in 1:24-31.
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more