True FellowshipWhat comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?
Top Music Videos
What Do You Worship?
Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship Him as God or even give
Him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was
like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused (v.21).
Whether it’s a supernatural being . . . science,
money, wisdom, information, ritual, power or
love,” says social commentator Hugh Mackay,
“most of us assign the status of god to something in our
lives.” The truth is: Modern, secular people still worship
something even if they’ve abandoned belief in God.
The first chapter of Romans describes this human
religious impulse powerfully. Its message is threefold:
1. There is a God, and He has revealed Himself. “For
ever since the world was created, people have seen the
earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can
clearly see His invisible qualities—His eternal power and
divine nature” (v.20).
2. People are designed to worship. When we refuse to
worship God (v.21), we don’t stop worshiping. Instead, we
put other “gods” in His place (v.25). In ancient times, these
gods were embodied in carvings of people, birds, and
animals (v.23). Today’s “gods,” Hugh Mackay noted, can
include anything from money and power to love.
3. Worshiping any other god will destroy us. The
irony is, while we thought we were “wise” in rejecting
the true God, we actually became “confused” (vv.21-
22). While we thought other gods would bring us life,
they actually brought us death—resulting in distorted
sexuality (vv.26-27), greed, hate, envy, murder,
quarreling, deception, and pride (vv.28-32). Worshiping the true God makes us
fully human (Genesis 1:27). Worshiping false gods makes us
So, what do you worship? Be assured that worshiping anything other than
the true God Himself will destroy you. Who will rescue us from our destructive
idols? Jesus, who entered our darkness and died for us (Romans 4:25). Through
His resurrection we can be raised to new life now and forever! (Romans 8:10).
Read Romans 12:1 and note how worshiping the true God
reverses the inhuman, sinful behaviors outlined in 1:24-31.
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more