View from a DistanceWhy is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?
Top Christian Music Videos
What Do You Worship?
Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship Him as God or even give
Him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was
like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused (v.21).
Whether it’s a supernatural being . . . science,
money, wisdom, information, ritual, power or
love,” says social commentator Hugh Mackay,
“most of us assign the status of god to something in our
lives.” The truth is: Modern, secular people still worship
something even if they’ve abandoned belief in God.
The first chapter of Romans describes this human
religious impulse powerfully. Its message is threefold:
1. There is a God, and He has revealed Himself. “For
ever since the world was created, people have seen the
earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can
clearly see His invisible qualities—His eternal power and
divine nature” (v.20).
2. People are designed to worship. When we refuse to
worship God (v.21), we don’t stop worshiping. Instead, we
put other “gods” in His place (v.25). In ancient times, these
gods were embodied in carvings of people, birds, and
animals (v.23). Today’s “gods,” Hugh Mackay noted, can
include anything from money and power to love.
3. Worshiping any other god will destroy us. The
irony is, while we thought we were “wise” in rejecting
the true God, we actually became “confused” (vv.21-
22). While we thought other gods would bring us life,
they actually brought us death—resulting in distorted
sexuality (vv.26-27), greed, hate, envy, murder,
quarreling, deception, and pride (vv.28-32). Worshiping the true God makes us
fully human (Genesis 1:27). Worshiping false gods makes us
So, what do you worship? Be assured that worshiping anything other than
the true God Himself will destroy you. Who will rescue us from our destructive
idols? Jesus, who entered our darkness and died for us (Romans 4:25). Through
His resurrection we can be raised to new life now and forever! (Romans 8:10).
Read Romans 12:1 and note how worshiping the true God
reverses the inhuman, sinful behaviors outlined in 1:24-31.
- View from a Distance - Why is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?...read more
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more