Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
What Do You Worship?
Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship Him as God or even give
Him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was
like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused (v.21).
Whether it’s a supernatural being . . . science,
money, wisdom, information, ritual, power or
love,” says social commentator Hugh Mackay,
“most of us assign the status of god to something in our
lives.” The truth is: Modern, secular people still worship
something even if they’ve abandoned belief in God.
The first chapter of Romans describes this human
religious impulse powerfully. Its message is threefold:
1. There is a God, and He has revealed Himself. “For
ever since the world was created, people have seen the
earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can
clearly see His invisible qualities—His eternal power and
divine nature” (v.20).
2. People are designed to worship. When we refuse to
worship God (v.21), we don’t stop worshiping. Instead, we
put other “gods” in His place (v.25). In ancient times, these
gods were embodied in carvings of people, birds, and
animals (v.23). Today’s “gods,” Hugh Mackay noted, can
include anything from money and power to love.
3. Worshiping any other god will destroy us. The
irony is, while we thought we were “wise” in rejecting
the true God, we actually became “confused” (vv.21-
22). While we thought other gods would bring us life,
they actually brought us death—resulting in distorted
sexuality (vv.26-27), greed, hate, envy, murder,
quarreling, deception, and pride (vv.28-32). Worshiping the true God makes us
fully human (Genesis 1:27). Worshiping false gods makes us
So, what do you worship? Be assured that worshiping anything other than
the true God Himself will destroy you. Who will rescue us from our destructive
idols? Jesus, who entered our darkness and died for us (Romans 4:25). Through
His resurrection we can be raised to new life now and forever! (Romans 8:10).
Read Romans 12:1 and note how worshiping the true God
reverses the inhuman, sinful behaviors outlined in 1:24-31.
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more