Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
An eyewitness is one whose firsthand knowledge
of a crime or an important event is used to
ascertain the actual facts surrounding the event
in a court of law. One witness is usually insufficient. “The
facts of the case must be established by the testimony of
two or three witnesses” (Deuteronomy 19:15).
Paul reminded the Corinthians to remember what they
had believed when they first accepted the good news
(1 Corinthians 1:1). They were to continue believing that
“Christ died for [their] sins . . . was buried, and . . . was
raised from the dead on the third day” (vv.3-4). This was
the basis of their salvation, for it was true (v.2).
In the span of 40 days, Jesus “appeared to the
apostles . . . and He proved to them in many ways that
He was actually alive” (Acts 1:3).
In 1 Corinthians 15:5, Paul listed credible key
eyewitnesses: Peter (Luke 24:34; John 21:1), the Twelve
(Luke 24:33; John 20:19), James, Jesus’ previously
unbelieving half-brother (John 7:5; Galatians 1:19), and
all the apostles (Luke 24:50; Acts 1:3). Paul referred to
an occasion (possibly Acts 1:9) where Jesus “was seen
by more than 500 of His followers at one time”
(1 Corinthians 1:6). Paul also named himself, for he had
met the risen Lord on the Damascus Road (Acts 9:3).
Writing some 20 years after the resurrection (AD
53–56), Paul stated that “most of [these eyewitnesses]
are still alive” (1 Corinthians 1:6). The fact of Christ’s
resurrection, readily verifiable, is firmly established by the testimonies of more
than 500 eyewitnesses (John 8:17; 2 Corinthians 2:1).
As eyewitnesses, we too can testify to Jesus’ reality. We have experienced His
salvation and presence, and our lives will never be the same!
If you were to testify as a witness, what might you say that would convince
others that Jesus is alive? How do the changed lives of true believers in
Jesus also bear witness to His reality?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more