A Little FartherDo you hear much about lament in your local church?
Top Christian Music Videos
The foreign rabble who were traveling with the Israelites began to crave the good things of Egypt. And the people of Israel also began to complain (v.4).
Many years ago, I was counseling at a Christian camp when the program staff began to struggle. Why? Some of the counselors didn’t appreciate the way the director was leading, so they started to complain. As the complaints spread, more people joined in. By the end of the week, the staff had become polarized and the whole camp had been affected by the tempestuous situation.
When we have to live or work with negative and complaining people, it can be draining and downright toxic. That’s part of why God called the people of ancient Israel on their complaining ways (Numbers 14:27). But a bigger reason was that His people were rejecting His leadership—they were rejecting Him.
So how did the complaining begin? Numbers 11:4 gives us a clue. “The foreign rabble who were traveling with the Israelites began to crave the good things of Egypt.” Soon “the people of Israel also began to complain.” The Israelites had been infected by the words of some foreigners who were merely tagging along on the journey—people whose rotten attitudes were spoiling the whole bunch! Even the leadership was getting worn down. Moses, tired of fielding the people’s complaints, basically told God: Please end my life and put me out of this misery! (v.15).
Ultimately, God lost patience with His whining, nontrusting, disobedient people and forced them to wander in the wilderness for 40 years (14:34). That’s some stiff punishment!
As we consider this account, it’s important to recognize the effect that complaining, ungrateful people can have on us (1 Corinthians 1:33). Be careful whose words you take to heart. If people close to you aren’t edifying and motivating you with the truth of God and His goodness, it may be time to leave the rabble behind.
Read 1 John 1:1 to see why it’s possible to be affected by the words of those who claim to be believers in Jesus.
Why is complaining such an abomination to God? How have you been affected by negative, complaining people? What can you do about it?
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more