New BeginningsHow has God equipped you to follow Him?
Top Christian Music Videos
Give us today the food we need (v.11).
I work for a Christian ministry whose flagship publication is titled Our Daily Bread. Maybe you’ve heard of it. ODB is a popular daily devotional that has blessed millions of readers since its debut more than 50 years ago.
The title for this beloved devotional was borrowed from what is traditionally known as “The Lord’s Prayer” (Matthew 6:9; Luke 11:2). Lately, I’ve been reading up on the meaning of the original phrase.
I learned that the Greek word rendered “daily” (Matthew 6:11 kjv) by most modern Bible translations is absolutely unique in Greek literature—it doesn’t appear anywhere else. Over the centuries, some have thought that the word refers to “bread of today” or the “bread of tomorrow.” Others have taken it to mean “just enough bread to keep us alive” or “the bread we need.”
In his book Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes, Kenneth Bailey suggests that a second-century Syrian translation of The Lord’s Prayer gives us one of the best insights into the meaning of this rare word. The translation is rendered in English, “Give us today the bread that doesn’t run out.” Bailey believes that this was Jesus’ intended meaning, as it speaks to the universal human fear of not having enough to survive
If we run out of the basic necessities of life such as food and water, we’re finished. It’s the same fear that gripped the widow in Zarephath as she prepared to make one final loaf of bread for herself and her only son before they died (1 Kings 17:8).
It’s clear that Jesus taught us to pray for deliverance from this basic human fear that can utterly demoralize the human spirit. Praying for “our daily bread” is asking the Giver of all life for the food we need (physical and spiritual) to sustain us today, tomorrow, and forever.
Read John 6:32 and see what Jesus says about the “bread of life.”
How has Jesus’ daily bread been meeting your needs? Why is it vital that we continually seek the daily bread that only He can provide?
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more