Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand
speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire (v.5).
She said, ‘I hope you won’t be in my class next
year.’ ” One evening during dinner with my kids,
I was surprised when my 9-year-old randomly
shared an incident that had taken place at school. Being
a curious child, he had been playing with a door lock
while waiting in line for lunch when a teacher—in an
attempt to correct his behavior—made a comment that
had left an impression on him. Now 2 years later, it was
still on his mind.
While there are many characteristics that separate
us from the rest of creation, our ability to speak with
creative intent is one of the marked attributes we carry as
bearers of God’s image. Jesus told His disciples that they
would be known by their love for others (John 13:35)
and for being conduits of living water (John 7:38). James pulls
these two ideas together by revealing the incongruity of
professing our love for Christ and cursing the ones whom
He lovingly created (Psalms 139:13; James 3:9).
Like fire, words are powerful. Just as a flame brings
warmth or danger, the things we say can either reveal
the light of Christ in us or set in motion a path of
destruction around us (Proverbs 18:21). Our words
reveal the motives of our hearts; and when it comes to
communication, not only do we want to be heard, we
often strive for control. Even if we say little.
James, however, teaches that true power and influence
come through our submission to God (James 4:7). Self-centered speech (not
so much making ourselves the topic of conversation but using our words to
accomplish our agendas), produces things that are “earthly, unspiritual, and
demonic” (3:15). God-directed speech, though, is a valued treasure (Proverbs 25:11) that carries the restorative power of God’s grace (Colossians 4:6).
Read Proverbs 10:27 to see the connection between our trust in the
Lord, our obedience to His ways, and the fruit of our words.
How can fear play a role in the way we communicate with
others? How should our trust in God shape our interpretation of what
others say? How can God’s wisdom help you?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more