Tongues AfireWhen have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?
Top Music Videos
“It was not because of his sins or his parents’
sins,” Jesus answered. “This happened so the
power of God could be seen in him” (v.3).
On December 4, 1982, a baby boy named
Nicholas Vujicic was born. As he grew, Nick
learned to brush his teeth, comb his hair, and
dress himself each morning. Like other boys, he learned
to swim, fish, and play soccer. But throughout Nick’s life
there has always been one big difference between him and
those around him. Nick was born with the rare Tetra-amelia
disorder—he entered this world without arms or legs.
As you’d imagine, Nick’s life has had its share of pain.
His defects were a shock to his parents. How could God
have allowed this? Nick was teased at school. So much
so, that when he was just 8 years old, he tried to drown
himself in a bathtub. He prayed to God every day for a
miracle, but never woke up with new limbs.
Nick’s turning point came while reading today’s
highlighted Bible verse. Jesus met a man born blind,
and His disciples wondered what caused the defect.
“Was it because of his own sins or his parents’ sins?”
(John 9:1-2). According to traditional wisdom, there
was no suffering without sin. Either one’s parents or the
person himself had sinned, perhaps even in the womb.
Jesus said that sin wasn’t the issue. This man had been
born blind, He proclaimed, “so the power of God could
be seen in him” (v.3).
Nick told me, “Those verses changed my life forever.”
His disability has been used to reveal God’s power.
Today, he travels the world as an evangelist, and it’s claimed that 200,000
people have given their lives to Jesus through his testimony.
For the blind man, the power of God was seen in him receiving his sight
(v.7). For Nick, it’s seen in the lives changed through his story. “When God
doesn’t give you a miracle,” Nick says, “maybe you’re the miracle God has for
someone else.” —Sheridan Voysey
Read Romans 5:3-5
to see the good that
suffering can produce.
Read 2 Corinthians
12:7-10 to see how
God can use our
weakness for His glory.
What is your
you long for God to
change in your life? How
might the power of God
be revealed though your
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more