Gateway of HopeHow has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?
Top Music Videos
“It was not because of his sins or his parents’
sins,” Jesus answered. “This happened so the
power of God could be seen in him” (v.3).
On December 4, 1982, a baby boy named
Nicholas Vujicic was born. As he grew, Nick
learned to brush his teeth, comb his hair, and
dress himself each morning. Like other boys, he learned
to swim, fish, and play soccer. But throughout Nick’s life
there has always been one big difference between him and
those around him. Nick was born with the rare Tetra-amelia
disorder—he entered this world without arms or legs.
As you’d imagine, Nick’s life has had its share of pain.
His defects were a shock to his parents. How could God
have allowed this? Nick was teased at school. So much
so, that when he was just 8 years old, he tried to drown
himself in a bathtub. He prayed to God every day for a
miracle, but never woke up with new limbs.
Nick’s turning point came while reading today’s
highlighted Bible verse. Jesus met a man born blind,
and His disciples wondered what caused the defect.
“Was it because of his own sins or his parents’ sins?”
(John 9:1-2). According to traditional wisdom, there
was no suffering without sin. Either one’s parents or the
person himself had sinned, perhaps even in the womb.
Jesus said that sin wasn’t the issue. This man had been
born blind, He proclaimed, “so the power of God could
be seen in him” (v.3).
Nick told me, “Those verses changed my life forever.”
His disability has been used to reveal God’s power.
Today, he travels the world as an evangelist, and it’s claimed that 200,000
people have given their lives to Jesus through his testimony.
For the blind man, the power of God was seen in him receiving his sight
(v.7). For Nick, it’s seen in the lives changed through his story. “When God
doesn’t give you a miracle,” Nick says, “maybe you’re the miracle God has for
someone else.” —Sheridan Voysey
Read Romans 5:3-5
to see the good that
suffering can produce.
Read 2 Corinthians
12:7-10 to see how
God can use our
weakness for His glory.
What is your
you long for God to
change in your life? How
might the power of God
be revealed though your
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more
- Driving for Peace - Who have you been engaged in conflict with recently?...read more
- Confidence in the Shepherd's Voice - Believers in Jesus are called to take every thought captive....read more