In the GapWhat has God equipped you with to intercede for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Prayer For The Sheep
You led Your people along that road like a flock of sheep (v.20).
The Psalms are diverse prayers. The Psalter (the name
for all the Psalms collected together) is a prayer
and song book. Whatever we learn from a psalm,
whatever questions raised or answers given—we must
never forget that it is first a prayer. It contains intimate
words spoken to God.
Psalms have been prayed to God for thousands of
years. Israel prayed them. The church prays them.
Christians in Hungary and Nigeria and Mexico pray
them. When we pray these prayers, we join the faithful
across time and history. With them, we echo our longing
for God, our desperation for God to act, our belief that
God is good and just and that He will treat us as dear
One of the constant images in the Psalms is that of God
as the shepherd and we as sheep. God is our Shepherd.
We’re dependent and in need. God is our Provider. God
is trustworthy to care for us. So, we prayerfully affirm
that, since God is the Shepherd, we “have all that [we]
need” (Psalms 23:1).
These prayers do not ask us to put on blinders, ignoring
the “darkest valley” and the wilderness we encounter
(Psalms 23:4, Psalms 78:52). Rather, these prayers invite us to joyfully
affirm that, though darkness comes, we “will not be afraid” because the Good
Shepherd stays (as good shepherds always do) “close beside” us (Psalms 23:4).
Prayer is the honest acknowledgment of life as it is and a faithful recentering
to life as God makes (and will make) it to be. Prayer helps us sheep to follow our
Pray through Psalms 79:1, noting the pinnacle image: God’s people
pictured as sheep. Watch for how the images build to this picture, and how
it reflects meaning on the rest of the prayer.
Where do you need the Good Shepherd to guide you right now? How
does seeing yourself as a dependent sheep reorient you to the faithfulness of
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more
- Winning Wars - How has God equipped others to help you make wise decisions?...read more