MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
Monday to Friday
When He had finished speaking, He said to Simon, “Now go out
where it is deeper, and let down your nets to catch some fish” (v.4).
The words must have sounded naïve. I wonder if Peter
even stifled a snicker. After a long, exhausting—and
ultimately unsuccessful—night’s work, he was thinking
of a hot breakfast and a comfortable bed. The last thing
he needed was some rabbi telling him how to do his job.
It was early morning. Simon Peter, Andrew, James,
John, and others had just returned from a night’s fishing
and were now cleaning their nets before heading home.
Jesus was also by the water—preaching. Even this early
in the day the crowds had gathered around Him, so
much so that Jesus preached from Peter’s boat.
Then the strange command came. Turning to Peter,
Jesus said, “Now go out where it is deeper, and let
down your nets to catch some fish” (Luke 5:4). But they’d
already worked all night without results—the fish simply
weren’t there. Jesus was the carpenter turned rabbi—but
Peter was the fisherman. This was his area of expertise.
Still, Peter obeyed Jesus. And soon his boat was full of
flipping, flopping fish (vv.6-7).
Jesus is “Lord of all” (Acts 10:36). He’s even Lord of
our careers. In Jesus, Peter met someone who trumped his
Fishing, cooking, architecture, and engineering;
mathematics, biology, art, and horticulture; business,
manufacturing, marketing, and parenting—Jesus is
Lord of it all. Whatever your calling in life, Jesus is your
ultimate authority. The One who fills the whole universe
(Ephesians 4:10) and readily gives wisdom (Proverbs 2:6; James 1:5) wants to
direct your day-to-day work.
The story ends with Peter bowing to Jesus’ authority (Luke 5:8). Is Jesus
Lord of your Monday to Friday work-life as much as he is of your Sunday
How much do you expect Jesus to help you at work? How could
praying about your workday and its tasks affect you?
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more