Sacrificial LoveWhat does it mean for you to carry your cross?
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday to Friday
When He had finished speaking, He said to Simon, “Now go out
where it is deeper, and let down your nets to catch some fish” (v.4).
The words must have sounded naïve. I wonder if Peter
even stifled a snicker. After a long, exhausting—and
ultimately unsuccessful—night’s work, he was thinking
of a hot breakfast and a comfortable bed. The last thing
he needed was some rabbi telling him how to do his job.
It was early morning. Simon Peter, Andrew, James,
John, and others had just returned from a night’s fishing
and were now cleaning their nets before heading home.
Jesus was also by the water—preaching. Even this early
in the day the crowds had gathered around Him, so
much so that Jesus preached from Peter’s boat.
Then the strange command came. Turning to Peter,
Jesus said, “Now go out where it is deeper, and let
down your nets to catch some fish” (Luke 5:4). But they’d
already worked all night without results—the fish simply
weren’t there. Jesus was the carpenter turned rabbi—but
Peter was the fisherman. This was his area of expertise.
Still, Peter obeyed Jesus. And soon his boat was full of
flipping, flopping fish (vv.6-7).
Jesus is “Lord of all” (Acts 10:36). He’s even Lord of
our careers. In Jesus, Peter met someone who trumped his
Fishing, cooking, architecture, and engineering;
mathematics, biology, art, and horticulture; business,
manufacturing, marketing, and parenting—Jesus is
Lord of it all. Whatever your calling in life, Jesus is your
ultimate authority. The One who fills the whole universe
(Ephesians 4:10) and readily gives wisdom (Proverbs 2:6; James 1:5) wants to
direct your day-to-day work.
The story ends with Peter bowing to Jesus’ authority (Luke 5:8). Is Jesus
Lord of your Monday to Friday work-life as much as he is of your Sunday
How much do you expect Jesus to help you at work? How could
praying about your workday and its tasks affect you?
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more