Right and Wrong WordsIs your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday to Friday
When He had finished speaking, He said to Simon, “Now go out
where it is deeper, and let down your nets to catch some fish” (v.4).
The words must have sounded naïve. I wonder if Peter
even stifled a snicker. After a long, exhausting—and
ultimately unsuccessful—night’s work, he was thinking
of a hot breakfast and a comfortable bed. The last thing
he needed was some rabbi telling him how to do his job.
It was early morning. Simon Peter, Andrew, James,
John, and others had just returned from a night’s fishing
and were now cleaning their nets before heading home.
Jesus was also by the water—preaching. Even this early
in the day the crowds had gathered around Him, so
much so that Jesus preached from Peter’s boat.
Then the strange command came. Turning to Peter,
Jesus said, “Now go out where it is deeper, and let
down your nets to catch some fish” (Luke 5:4). But they’d
already worked all night without results—the fish simply
weren’t there. Jesus was the carpenter turned rabbi—but
Peter was the fisherman. This was his area of expertise.
Still, Peter obeyed Jesus. And soon his boat was full of
flipping, flopping fish (vv.6-7).
Jesus is “Lord of all” (Acts 10:36). He’s even Lord of
our careers. In Jesus, Peter met someone who trumped his
Fishing, cooking, architecture, and engineering;
mathematics, biology, art, and horticulture; business,
manufacturing, marketing, and parenting—Jesus is
Lord of it all. Whatever your calling in life, Jesus is your
ultimate authority. The One who fills the whole universe
(Ephesians 4:10) and readily gives wisdom (Proverbs 2:6; James 1:5) wants to
direct your day-to-day work.
The story ends with Peter bowing to Jesus’ authority (Luke 5:8). Is Jesus
Lord of your Monday to Friday work-life as much as he is of your Sunday
How much do you expect Jesus to help you at work? How could
praying about your workday and its tasks affect you?
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more