View from a DistanceWhy is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday to Friday
When He had finished speaking, He said to Simon, “Now go out
where it is deeper, and let down your nets to catch some fish” (v.4).
The words must have sounded naïve. I wonder if Peter
even stifled a snicker. After a long, exhausting—and
ultimately unsuccessful—night’s work, he was thinking
of a hot breakfast and a comfortable bed. The last thing
he needed was some rabbi telling him how to do his job.
It was early morning. Simon Peter, Andrew, James,
John, and others had just returned from a night’s fishing
and were now cleaning their nets before heading home.
Jesus was also by the water—preaching. Even this early
in the day the crowds had gathered around Him, so
much so that Jesus preached from Peter’s boat.
Then the strange command came. Turning to Peter,
Jesus said, “Now go out where it is deeper, and let
down your nets to catch some fish” (Luke 5:4). But they’d
already worked all night without results—the fish simply
weren’t there. Jesus was the carpenter turned rabbi—but
Peter was the fisherman. This was his area of expertise.
Still, Peter obeyed Jesus. And soon his boat was full of
flipping, flopping fish (vv.6-7).
Jesus is “Lord of all” (Acts 10:36). He’s even Lord of
our careers. In Jesus, Peter met someone who trumped his
Fishing, cooking, architecture, and engineering;
mathematics, biology, art, and horticulture; business,
manufacturing, marketing, and parenting—Jesus is
Lord of it all. Whatever your calling in life, Jesus is your
ultimate authority. The One who fills the whole universe
(Ephesians 4:10) and readily gives wisdom (Proverbs 2:6; James 1:5) wants to
direct your day-to-day work.
The story ends with Peter bowing to Jesus’ authority (Luke 5:8). Is Jesus
Lord of your Monday to Friday work-life as much as he is of your Sunday
How much do you expect Jesus to help you at work? How could
praying about your workday and its tasks affect you?
- View from a Distance - Why is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?...read more
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more