The Job ParadoxWhen have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?
Top Music Videos
Monday to Friday
When He had finished speaking, He said to Simon, “Now go out
where it is deeper, and let down your nets to catch some fish” (v.4).
The words must have sounded naïve. I wonder if Peter
even stifled a snicker. After a long, exhausting—and
ultimately unsuccessful—night’s work, he was thinking
of a hot breakfast and a comfortable bed. The last thing
he needed was some rabbi telling him how to do his job.
It was early morning. Simon Peter, Andrew, James,
John, and others had just returned from a night’s fishing
and were now cleaning their nets before heading home.
Jesus was also by the water—preaching. Even this early
in the day the crowds had gathered around Him, so
much so that Jesus preached from Peter’s boat.
Then the strange command came. Turning to Peter,
Jesus said, “Now go out where it is deeper, and let
down your nets to catch some fish” (Luke 5:4). But they’d
already worked all night without results—the fish simply
weren’t there. Jesus was the carpenter turned rabbi—but
Peter was the fisherman. This was his area of expertise.
Still, Peter obeyed Jesus. And soon his boat was full of
flipping, flopping fish (vv.6-7).
Jesus is “Lord of all” (Acts 10:36). He’s even Lord of
our careers. In Jesus, Peter met someone who trumped his
Fishing, cooking, architecture, and engineering;
mathematics, biology, art, and horticulture; business,
manufacturing, marketing, and parenting—Jesus is
Lord of it all. Whatever your calling in life, Jesus is your
ultimate authority. The One who fills the whole universe
(Ephesians 4:10) and readily gives wisdom (Proverbs 2:6; James 1:5) wants to
direct your day-to-day work.
The story ends with Peter bowing to Jesus’ authority (Luke 5:8). Is Jesus
Lord of your Monday to Friday work-life as much as he is of your Sunday
How much do you expect Jesus to help you at work? How could
praying about your workday and its tasks affect you?
- The Job Paradox - When have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?...read more
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more